Recent content by TheJaguar

1. T

HP T730 Thin Client low perf on Proxmox

Yes, that's exactly how it's setup. All my NIC's are setup as VirtIO, but I wasn't sure if it caused any harm to include iommu in Grub and since I have seen all of your configs include it, I included it. Here is what my command line look like: root@proxmox:~# cat /proc/cmdline...
  2. T

HP T730 Thin Client low perf on Proxmox

I am seeing a bit of a strange behavior - by default my CPU was set to "performance" and CPU frequency never went about 1.4 ghz (cpupower monitor) when running stress, but I switched the CPU mode to "ondemand" and the frequency went up to 3 to 3.2 ghz range. I switched it back to "performance"...
  3. T

HP t730 Thin Client as an HP Microserver Gen7 Upgrade

UPDATE: managed to get it working - changed settings in settings -> advanced -> misc. I had to restart after that for it to be enabled. is there anything specific that needs to be done to enable AES-NI in pfsense? In the dashboard page of pfsense, it shows "AES-NI Cpu Crypto: No"
  4. T

lol - yes, when I grep lscpu, it does return svm as one of the flags, so I am guessing I am good on that front. Thanks again for all the help folks!
  5. T

I was able to virtualize and run pfsense on my T730 - yay! have a question - I have 3 gigabit lan cables that I split my WAN connection with. Most pfsense guides describe 1 wan and 1 lan connection, but in my case, wouldn't it be better to have 3 lan bridges and 1 wan bridge (via proxmox) so...
  6. T

Oh, I see. Good to know that you are running that many VM's and the machine is chugging along. Is there a quick way of finding out if SVM is disabled or enabled? If it's disabled, does it completely kill the ability to virtualize? I have just installed proxmox and got it up & running. I will...
  7. T

Oh my - this is concerning for sure. v1.15 is safe right? that was the most recent release. got it - not planning on running too many VM's - 2 to 3 at most. Let's see how it goes...
  8. T

Ah, interesting that you are running it native and not using it for any other purpose. I was under the impression that the T730 is powerful enough to be virtualized for other tasks. I am hoping to keep my power consumption on the lower side and also not have high load factors on my CPU after...
  9. T

Got it - thanks much. Is SRIOV possible on proxmox? If it is, this should enable passthrough and fast packet switching is what I have read. Is that accurate? Without this, will the rig still be capable of handling 1 gig ethernet. I plan on having a couple of VM's - one for pfsense, one with...
  10. T

Do you mind posting the custom ESXi image for the T730 with realtek drivers? EDIT: Actually, let me rephrase the question a bit - I am looking to run pfsense in a VM on my T730. Would proxmox be better or ESXi?
  11. T

Comparison: Intel i350-T4 Genuine vs Fake

Thanks for the confirmation, folks - I too thought that since it's attached to other server hardware, the chances of it being a server pull are high.
  12. T

Comparison: Intel i350-T4 Genuine vs Fake

After reading through this thread and looking through all the images, I ended up purchasing this item on eBay - Cisco Intel Quad Port Gigabit Network Adapter | eBay Do you folks think this is genuine?
  13. T

Looking for a dual or quad port gigabit NIC for my HP T730 for pfsense

After looking for all the images in the genuine vs. fake thread, I ended up purchasing this item - Cisco Intel Quad Port Gigabit Network Adapter | eBay I am hoping this is a genuine item...
  14. T

This is great - thanks much! I have a network at home that has gigabit cables for 4 floors, so I was looking to have it all go through the t730 as my router (with pfsense). There are multiple WAP's across the floors to manage wifi connectivity. If I were to get a NIC with 2 ports, guessing I...
  15. T

That's one of the options I am considering, but I don't have a local source. I have to depend on online websites, which makes it harder. If there are known online resellers who supply genuine products, would really appreciate any references.