Recent content by thefloyd

1. T

help with PM1733 NVMe drives and a dell R640

Yeah, I did this back in the day with one of the brocade switches. Dropped a big ass 200mm fan on the top and adjusted the other fans as needed but needed to fool the system into thinking there were a bunch of screamers in the chassis screaming. The inspiration actually came from one of the post...
  2. T

help with PM1733 NVMe drives and a dell R640

I acquired a handful of PM1733 U.2 3.84TB NVMe disks with the intention of maxing out my homelab R640, but I've now fallen into the "non-dell devices send the chassis fans into the stratosphere" trap combined with the "IDRAC9 with firmware > 3.32.32.32 no longer allows you to hand tune the fan...
  3. T

Celestica DX010 100GbE switch w/ Intel Avoton C2358 CPU - AVR54 C0 stepping failure?

Neat! Thanks for that! I was able to confirm my 2018-manufacture DX010 is indeed a C0 SoC and thus I shouldn't have to worry about the rangely issues.
  4. T

Celestica DX010 100GbE switch w/ Intel Avoton C2358 CPU - AVR54 C0 stepping failure?

I've got two, and while far from any kind of scientific study neither of my 2018 models has suffered any ill effects. I popped one open and compared to the photos on the google drive attached to the reddit thread (see below) and can confirm my 2018 model has different component values around the...
  5. T

Brocade VDX 6740

Thanks for documenting your working config. That makes it so much easier for the next person who comes and asks when the rest of us are nowhere near our switches. these are amazing and amazingly powerful enterprise kit. I haven’t touched Cisco and juniper in years (my day job has gone a...
  6. T

Brocade VDX 6740

I think ISLs still require the ‘switchport’ directive but I’m not 100% sure and I’m nowhere one of my switches right now. Try it. Can’t hurt.
  7. T

Brocade VDX 6740

also you have ISL disabled? (“no fabric isl enable”)
  8. T

Brocade VDX 6740

do you tag your native VLAN? (vlan1?). If not you shouldn’t have that directive on the ports.
  9. T

Brocade VDX 6740

ISL ports need the ‘switchport’ directive, too, IIRC. Did you set them to switching mode?
  10. T

Brocade VDX 6740

No worries. I’ve just dusted off my 6740 and am planning to redeploy it in my homelab so this was quite fresh in my mind. :-)
  11. T

Brocade VDX 6740

By default the switch ports aren’t in switching mode after a config wipe. you need to conf t then interface blah and then issue ‘switchport’ (or the inverse to undo; ‘no switchport’) each interface you want to put into l2/switching mode.
  12. T

Brocade VDX 6740

the switch has 40 licensed 10gb ports as per the above. It came with 24 and someone licensed 16 more. all 4 40gig ports are licensed too, due to the similar message about the 40gb ports with the text referencing the 40gb upgrade license being installed underneath that. The switch uses dynamic...
  13. T

Reverse engineering ATTO 40gb card (Mellanox CX3-Pro)

hey STH folks! I've been trying to get a Mellanox CX3-Pro working on my Mac with the ATTO drivers (FastFrame NQ42 firmware). It appears that ATTO decided to stash the MAC address for the card in the NVRAM as a means of preventing people from simply cross-flashing the firmware and using their...
  14. T

DX010 / Sonic / L2 help needed

OK so I've narrowed it down. The minute I 'sudo config vlan add 1' the entire system comes down. Most of the docker processes go down. The switch becomes essentially unusable. Has anyone actually used vlan1 in sonic?
  15. T

DX010 / Sonic / L2 help needed

hey all, so I'm feeling really stupid these days and need a lifeline. I managed to acquire a DX010 switch, get Sonic installed, drop Sonic back down to L2. All good. With all of my ports tagged to VLAN1000 I can interconnect my DX010 to one of my other switches (VDX6740 or VDX6940 at 40gbE)...