Recent content by Thanos

1. Thanos

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

Thank you sir!!
  2. Thanos

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

Oh, really.... it’s usually a failed capacitor. I read somewhere in this thread that they are located under the motherboard (those that have failed for others)?? I hope not. If anyone has a photo/point something to locate them, I can replace them with fresh ones... a few cents component fails...
  3. Thanos

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

Hi, when you say "died" does that mean a permanent situation? :) I got two out of three to not respond to IPMI command to power on (one does power on for a while and then shuts down). One of them does not even respond to IPMI -> I guess some part has failed and doesn't bring the board up for the...
  4. Thanos

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

Thank you! Happy Holidays!
  5. Thanos

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

Hi guys, does anyone have the details on the 30x30x10 fans that some of you (spyrule?) use for the chipset? What's the Voltage for example? if you have a model you use, can you share a link of that? I'm kinda tired of node2 powering down sometimes (even at "normal" ambient temp!). So, I will...
  6. Thanos

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

SIR, YOU ARE AWESOME!! I've never used water-cooling and I'm reluctant to experiment with this :) But you have a nice project there! You can create a very powerful/custom server and without the fan noise that goes with the chipset. It's one of my concerns with the blades, the high temps on the...
  7. Thanos

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

the "ignoreHeadless=TRUE" at the ESXi boot process wouldn't fix a broken BIOS (I guess). You should either find a way to re-flash the BIOS or ask for a replacement of the board (if it was broken from day 1).
  8. Thanos

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

Now this is something I would like to see a link :) Did you buy them from ebay/amazon etc? If you have the link, could you please share? 3K rpm is very low! I recall starting around 4500 then jumping above 5K rpm (ok, in a normal room with no a/c). Blade 2 run hot for me as well, I guess because...
  9. Thanos

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

Do you mean that blades 1 and 2 halt with no error output logged in ESXi? what is the IPMI status on power? (if any...) It may shutdown on idle or high temp?? I have disabled all power mgmt in BIOS and ESXi (from balanced -> high performance). Maybe the BIOS gives you a clue? (without proper...
  10. Thanos

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

Yeah, I read about that :) The guys that sell this were kind enough to replace the failed node (since it was in the very first days of getting the server). The replacement runs happily :) So I'm a happy customer of theirs! Kudos to them for the support! I don't -yet- have any failed disks but I...
  11. Thanos

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

watercooling! hm... good idea :) This is not a design for rooms that are not A/C'd. Yes, the chipset must be those two smaller ones closer to the back of the board. My guess is that the airflow back there isn't enough to cool them if the ambient air temp is higher than 21-22 Celsius (I was OK...
  12. Thanos

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

Tried to check the user guides from DELL for similar boards (not the same...) but even these docs did not have the pin out for the power connectors. Maybe a h/w manual has it. The problem with these boxes is that they are custom made and we can't find decent (aka detailed) documentation. Neither...
  13. Thanos

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

I have gone through the BIOS setup of one of the nodes. I have 12 disks so each node has 4 SATA disks connected. The images show how my BIOS is setup. The main thing to check is the Southbridge Config (in "Chipset" folder) and that the "SATA IDE Combined mode" is set to DISABLED. The comments...
  14. Thanos

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

If the disks are seen using just a couple of SATA ports on the node, maybe you need to check the BIOS settings (assuming there's nothing wrong with the cabling!) There's a setting that will prevent more than two disks to be seen. Under "advanced" you leave the IDE controller in the ENABLED...
  15. Thanos

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

Status update for whom it may be useful :) two of the nodes are setup with ESXi 5.5 update-1. One of them is functional in terms of the compute part as well as the Web access of the IPMI interface. The second node is functional only for the compute part. The IPMI interface is responding only to...