Recent content by Terry Kennedy

1. Terry Kennedy

Dell R720 just died...

I'm pretty sure that the iDRAC on an x20 will still power-up and get link even if the main chassis power is off (that's the only way you could remotely power servers off / on). You probably have a bad power supply. Or there's enough installed in the system that instead of operating in redundant...
  2. Terry Kennedy

STH Q1 2024 Letter from the Editor New Truck and Our New Project

I know exactly what you mean about people stopping and staring at your Cybertruck. In August 2006 I took my Ariel Atom (the car in my avatar here) to the original Cars & Coffee at Crystal Cove. I was mobbed by people asking questions, taking pictures, etc. To give you an idea: Aside from one...
  3. Terry Kennedy

MSL4048 with LTO6 6250 - wrong drive type

Looks like that all worked out very well for you. If you're using Linux or one of the *BSDs, take a look at: The RAIDzilla II upgrade project (scroll down to "Backups") for the script I use for backups.
  4. Terry Kennedy

Hopefully all of this will work out with the new drive. The drive may be from a StorageTek SL24 or SL48 library - they're the only other variants I know of that use the HP-style operator control panel. I had an HP drive that wouldn't work in Dell or IBM libraries. I bought a bezel for it on...
  5. Terry Kennedy

Note that your drive is a 721592-001 which comes up as an OEM drive. The 706824-001 part number I found is just an example of the "correct" type of drive. G2 is Generation 2, HP-speak. I don't think there was a G1 of the MSL4048. IBM EoL'd the original Type 3573 library and replaced it with...
  6. Terry Kennedy

How do I buy drives?

When I build Dell PowerEdge servers (I have over a dozen running, doing various things for home and work), I buy Dell-branded disk drives. It saves a lot of hassle, as well as avoiding any "You're using non-certified drives!" warnings from PERC controllers. Lately (last 6 servers, mix of R630...
  7. Terry Kennedy

HPE PartSurfer knows about your C5F90A drive part number. But it says it is "OEM Automation LTO6HH SAS Drive", which sounds fishy. HP is known for blocking otherwise-identical products from moving between categories. If I put spare part number 706824-001 into PartSurfer, I get "1/8 G2 LTO-6...
  8. Terry Kennedy

That sounds like you're getting somewhere. Does the picker cycle when you power the library up? On a Dell or IBM personality, I believe it says "Accessing", accompanied by obvious picker sounds. I don't know how much money you have invested in this library, but there's an LTO4-HH SAS drive on...
  9. Terry Kennedy

Yup. And dont get me started about HP's policies on printer ink. There was some discussion about that here on STH a few years ago. AFAIK, you can't cross-flash the library controller card via the Web UI or SAS. It may be possible to do it with the serial diagnostic port on the LCC. I've found...
  10. Terry Kennedy

Welcome to the weird and wacky world of HP. Up until Tandberg got out of the LTO drive business (after LTO-6, I think), HP used Tandberg drives in HP libraries (which were OEM'd IBM TS3200 units). I guess they were willing to pay IBM enough for custom firmware to support non-IBM drives. You can...
  11. Terry Kennedy

How to reformat HDD & SSD to 512B Sector Size

I've been running 4Kn format drives here since early 2016 on a SAS2008 controller with P20 firmware. They can't be used as boot devices in BIOS mode (UEFI mode should work). I've always run FreeBSD on those boxes, but Microsoft says 4Kn is supported from Windows 8 onward.
  12. Terry Kennedy

Retro: AlphaServer DS20

Yes, FX32 was the name of the built-in x86 dynamic translator. It is rumored that parts of Windows NT for Alpha were still x86 code. DEC was doing great things with the Alpha chip. It had the highest clock rate and highest performance at the time it was released. It was also natively 64-bit by...
  13. Terry Kennedy

It helps that this was always a pretty small community where many people knew each other through the (defunct) DECUS user group. Sometimes I'm still surprised, though - when I was out at the museum in 2017 I was fixing a much older model of computer (1980) and I asked for some spare boards. The...
  14. Terry Kennedy

As some of you may know, I restore old / antique computers for a museum. This server straddles the line between old and antique, as it is almost 25 years old. Build’s Name: AlphaServer DS20 Operating System/ Storage Platform: OpenVMS 8.4-2L1 CPU: Alpha 21264 500MHz EV6 (x2) Motherboard...
  15. Terry Kennedy

Multiple drive purchased with the same zero serial number wont work in Truenas

This can happen by honest mistake or due to seller dishonesty. There are a few sellers who have been known for years to reset the SMART data and sell worn-out drives as new. Quite a few years ago I purchased a bunch of Dell 2.5" SAS drives from a huge seller (they currently have over 40,000...