Recent content by Techspin

1. Techspin

Need help: Budget UnRaid server with Core or Ryzen, NVMe...

We finished the first part of the NAS build using old hardware, and would like to hear your thoughts on it. For Part 2, we got a Fractal Define R5 case and we're using a B550 Tomahawk on camera, though for actual daily use we may use an old z270 board or cheap new AMD. Input is always super...
  2. Techspin

supermicro cse-847 with superQuiet power supplies 36bay 4u chassis $399

$399 for the unit, but shipping to Taiwan is $345USD.... jeesh. Sounds about right though :D But I'll stick with a PC style case for now I guess
  3. Techspin

That TYAN S8020 looks kinda perfect, Threadripper CPUs though... will take all the budget. @Alex0220 I like the gigabit teaming support on the board. Will check some other options on ASUS's site there too. Thanks!
  4. Techspin

Mellanox ConnectX 3 VPI (MCX354A-FCBT) HP OEM but with Mellanox OEM Firmware - 40 USD each

Nice find on the Mellanox cards, might have to jump on that deal also. The pricing on that wiring though! Ouch. Let me know how those cards work out!
  5. Techspin

Yeah noticed the lack of PCIe on all Ryzen boards vs Intel... so anyone looking at a z490/z590 then for an upgrade path? Or something like a B560 Aorus Pro AX that has 3? I think 3 is the minimum for needs and one slot future expansion.
  6. Techspin

@kapone Open mind here! I'm not set on an UnRaid build, just came to that conclusion on research that's all. We'd want the drives to idle to save power which will be a big factor summertime, and likely have to shut down the server nightly also :p Please, if you have a better option I'd love to...
  7. Techspin

I'm zero with Linux, so unless there's another option I just need a NAS with a GUI... UnRaid seems to fit the bill? Great finds, and cheap too. Since I'm in Taiwan, power bills are high here, may I ask roughly watts at idle? It suddenly turned into a large concern for me since summer is coming...
  8. Techspin

Ulysses S. Grant, grant me the strength to steamroll bracteates and annoy @Patrick at the same time! (the ultra-cheapskate server challenge)

Personally I'd love to see an NDS connected to SAS breakouts and a 40Gbe NIC this would be awesome hahaha
  9. Techspin

Upgrade paths from a Supermicro C2758

Really great case suggestions here, thanks for this! :)
  10. Techspin

@EffrafaxOfWug Great info here, I'll add in that a real server should have IPMI and ECC ram. I like the idea of AMD allowing ECC, I know it's recommended for ZFS but non-ECC may be just fine for UnRaid's default XFS? Obviously ECC is better, but if we don't have access... Yeah, it will just be...
  11. Techspin

Here's the current build btw, 10 year old hardware heh
  12. Techspin

Time to replace my DIY Freenas

Noob question, apologies in advance- any way to make the ProLiant DL380e type servers... quiet? Noctua fans, etc? Was reading the idle power draw is was pretty darn low. Could you quiet it and work beside it? Or would it still sound like a blender?
  13. Techspin

I made a power hungry Media Editing NAS build. I've dipped my toes into server-land and picked myself up an old EVGA Classified SR-2 with dual X5650's. After setting up UnRaid, 4TB parity, a 11x drive array totalling 32.5TB, was measuring power draw and saw 401w at power on, 280w booting up, and...
  14. Techspin

Intel Xeon W-1290P PC build

Looks like I need to upgrade to a this decade mobo+cpu combo... crap
  15. Techspin

Zen3 or Rocketlake?

Yeah with multi-core i9-11900K benchmarks seeming to punch in below 10900K and around the Ryzen 7 5800X mark or so... not sure if this will be upgrade worthy, just an iteration as they continue development of a newer CPU like Alder Lake S...