Recent content by Tech Junky

1. T

Any advice on NAS systems for home use?

They're all about the same when it comes down to what's inside. The OS is a preference though. The only thing I would look for besides bays would be a PCIE slot so you can upgrade the nic later on. With the OS on the nas you can stream from the nas using an app. Or if the TV is smart enough it...
  2. T

Does have more nic options on some of their boxes. I used one of their 5g4t NICs for several years which was cheaper than a 5ge switch. Had one of their nas as well until I collapsed everything into a single box for better performance. My point above was for longevity of the system to grow with...
  3. T

Off the shelf you need to think ahead about how many bays you might need since they're not expandable once you buy the chassis. I use a PC instead for the flexibility and direct storage access to the wan and higher speeds to the lan. Using a PC also opens the door to more storage options like...
  4. T

Is bigger always better? What size of hard drives for your archives?

@nexox I was eying them but they never went on sale before I changed my mind and went in a different direction with chips instead of spinners. When they did hit the market the price was a bit extreme for a spinner even with the capacity and speed in comparison.
  5. T

Is bigger always better? What size of hard drives for your archives?

If you want something faster look at the Seagate mach.2 which can hit SATA SSD speeds with the dual actuator setup. Otherwise look at the U.x drives for true SSD speeds using NVME. My Kioxia CD8 benches at 6.5GB/s.
  6. T

Best WAP right now that is not super over priced with modern tech (Wifi 6e or 7)

An easy test would just be a file copy between wireless devices or just one back to a wired. Phones though typically don't have the bandwidth or CPU to hit max speeds. I have an op11 and while the laptop can hit 1.7gbps the phone just can't hit the same throughput. Though your PCs might not have...
  7. T

Best WAP right now that is not super over priced with modern tech (Wifi 6e or 7)

Certification just allows companies to flip on features via firmware typically unless they really jump the gun on production and leave out bits and pieces. What kind of speeds are the clients getting? 6.8 for a backhaul is pretty decent.
  8. T

ECW536: Cloud Managed 4x4x4 Indoor WiFi 7 Access Point -- $499 right now // buy 2 get 1 free Compare Product: EAP783 vs EAP773 - 773 @ $190 / 783 @ $499 Looks like prices are settling in and some deals are to be had. Looking at the higher end options with 10GE ports since it's pointless to...
  9. T

New Homelab build, should I go 14700k or 14900k?

For me it's kind of an all in one of collapsed devices into a single box that started back in 2015. I rolled a bunch of things into a single box for convenience and performance instead of continuing to buy consumer junk. I've rebuilt it several times to what it is currently as tech changes over...
  10. T

I'm headless as well and it still adds to the monthly costs if you want to get down to the penny. Closest thing for measurement we could use is powertop to compare things. I don't have a physical power meter as costs are under $0.10/kwh here. sudo powerstat -R Time User Nice Sys...
  11. T

It's just sitting there and it's the lowest max power of 35W GPU that can do QSV. Fan doesn't spin if it's not being used and power is minimal in stand by when not processing files. There are other 380's though that are 75W cards and require additional PSU cables to be attached. The iGPU on...
  12. T

The work around is to use a cheap $100 A380 to accomplish whatever you need QSV for. I use one to convert TS files to MKV to reduce space and not engage the CPU on playback.
  13. T

There's more to life than low power gear. There's also the need to take into consideration the usefulness and efficiency of the gear for potential uses down the road. If it sits idle 99% of the time then it doesn't really make more than a couple of $'s year difference. My setup is 24/7 w/ a...
  14. T

Me again - another hopeful simple question - just trying to learn

You're on the right track with the custom box as gig+ requires faster NICs not aggregation. Aggregation will work to an extent but, sometimes not. Running a single cable is less to troubleshoot if it goes wrong but running a backup cable at the same time is cost effective. Picking a medium aka...
  15. T

Me again - another hopeful simple question - just trying to learn

A switch doesn't have a wan because it's not a router. However, there are ways to make a switch act like a router If they don't pass crosstalk then they probably need to be terminated again.