Recent content by tbkdan

1. T

Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

Again, I'm not sure about signature verifications, but you can disable ME via the BIOS (check page 95 of the tech manual) and via a jumper (for forced BIOS upgrades). My GTX950 would start booting enough to show the splash screen but then just hang there. Switching to an older AMD worked fine...
  2. T

The OCP server spec sheet doesn't mention anything about those v2 CPUs, nor does the C602 chipset compatibility page (only 16XXv2). The Quanta BIOS downloads include the full BIN (which includes the ME firmware) that can be flashed via SPI to a brand new BIOS chip (I had to do this when I got a...
  3. T

Try different RAM, did the trick for me. See below. I'm now running Kingston sticks from Natex with zero issues.
  4. T

My riser Slot0 issue turned out to be related to the PCIe mode jumpers on the motherboard. The risers have their own jumpers to select 1x x8 or 2x x4 for each slot - I already had these both to 1x x8 but that had no impact. The F03C manual mentions a jumper on the motherboard with the same...
  5. T

Try your riser card in the other node? I have the Quanta risers and on one node the bottom PCIe slot doesn't work but on the other node both slots work. I've swapped cards (HBA, GPU, etc), riser cards, tried different PCIe lane jumpers on the risers, checked BIOS settings, etc... seems there's...
  6. T

Quick followup on the RAM: I ordered replacement Kingston RAM from Natex and now my DIMM temps report properly, the "TSOD SMBus Sts" sensor reports OK, and the fans behave normally and not in jet engine mode :-D
  7. T

Oh, also, my board shipped with F03_3A04A compared to the F03_3A07 that a lot of people have had with theirs. I may try to work with someone to pull the full original F03_3A07 image compared to the F03C3A07 that I've been using from the website...
  8. T

Correct, they need to be flashed outside of the system. The chips themselves have an SPI interface so nothing too fancy is needed - a Raspberry Pi with some very small clips would do the trick, but the SIOC adapter I linked to would make life easier. I did order a few extra BIOS chips with...
  9. T

I'll write up more details later, but I wanted to post a few quick notes for those who may be interested. For those who are stuck with full-speed fan issues, try different RAM. I purchased supposed "Samsung" RAM from a seller in China. This reported rock solid DIMM temps of 80C - after a cold...
  10. T

I've had the best overall luck with ipmiutil which is cross-platform. It detects a lot of the specific error codes. Here's a good comparison of the various utilities out there: Comparison of Linux IPMI Software
  11. T

So, as an update to the fan issue, it appears to be related to the Intel Management Engine stuff. I updated the BIOS (Quanta) which gave me some more features in the BIOS - that was relatively painless. However, I cannot get the ME to update. I've tried from DOS (ME_DOS.bat), WinPE 10 x64...
  12. T

I have mine fully covered by a box to ensure good airflow. Had it off for many hours, turned it on and it immediately goes into full speed fans (just shy of 17,000RPM) and IPMI doesn't indicate any issues (see below, the CPU0 TjMax is at 90C as soon as I hit power when cold, so I think that is...
  13. T

Mine had part number dtafbf03028010130819 rev 3b which doesn't yield any Google results =\
  14. T

If you want to keep a PCIe slot open, you could get a 10Gb card on the mezzanine slot. For the OCP project there's definitely a bunch made by Mellanox, but Intel makes them too.
  15. T

That's to be expected though... one CPU is directly behind the other for airflow, so the second one will naturally run hotter since its "input air" temp is the "output air" of the first CPU. The shroud does seem to force more air around the CPU heatsinks though, so it might be a bit better for...