Recent content by Tango2

1. T

Trying to build 15 Drive NAS

My current motherboard only has one PCIe x16 physical slot, the others are x1 slots. I could install one M1015, but it would have to be into the same slot that I'm using for my PERC board now. That could possibly work until I upgrade, but I'd like the option to have two M1015's (or similar)...
  2. T

I can't agree more, and in any production environment, I wouldn't think twice about it. I'm willing to take a risk here for the cheaper investment, BUT I'm fully aware of the issues that could come up because of it. Although I'm not ruling out using a server-class board with ECC RAM just yet...
  3. T

Thanks all for the replies. Really glad I stumbled across this forum. The socket 1155 mobo seems a little overkill for what I am doing. The reason I think so, is because I'm currently using an AMD Phenom II x4 945 processor in my ESXi server. Normal usage of the 4 Windows servers puts the...
  4. T

I'd like to keep the budget between $300-500 (or less). I already have much of the hardware I would need. I already have drives, NICs, power supply and case, so most of the cost would be in the motherboard/memory/controller card. I don't need an overpowered machine, so I don't want to go...
  5. T

I'm currently using the GA-MA770T-UD3P motherboard as my ESXi server with the FreeNAS VM running as a guest. That board only has one PCIe x16 slot, which I currently have the PERC5/i board installed in. Honestly, the PCIe stuff gets a little confusing to me as to what will work and what won't...
  6. T

I have a server that is currently running FreeNAS. It is currently running as a VM on an ESXi5 server, but I'm looking for the best way to upgrade this with more storage. I would like this server to be capable of supporting up to 15 disks. I'm considering separating the ESXi and the file...