Recent content by stonewall

1. S

Which memory works in HP Microserver Gen 10?

That is what I feared. For my next build I would like to get a low power system. It would be great to find a system which uses cheap server ECC ram. I've been playing around with HP and Dell workstations, which have amazing build quality and utilise (now cheap) server RAM and other parts. I...
  2. S

Which memory works in HP Microserver Gen 10?

Inside my HP Microserver Gen 10 (this is not the plus) I have a stick of Micron MTA9ASF1G72AZ-2G3B1 which is un-registered ECC Ram 2400T 8GB. I have some sticks of RDIMMs which are 2666 timing. They don't work in the microserver. It doesn't get to post with those sticks inside. Online I find...
  3. S

How are servers cooled, and is it noisy? (Passively cooled GPU question)

I've made some money (money >& /dev/null) and I want to put together a "rig" for AI and in especially for experiments with Stable Diffusion. I will be able to use the same equipment for home lab experiments and as a file server that can do transcoding. Looking around at cards that will be cost...
  4. S

Does "Micron PC4-2400T-RD1-11 ECC SERVER Ram" work in HP Microserver gen10?

Thanks. As I investigate all of the cheap RAM I find it is RDIMM, as you suggest.
  5. S

Does "Micron PC4-2400T-RD1-11 ECC SERVER Ram" work in HP Microserver gen10?

HP Microserver gen10 wants " HPE 8GB (1 x 8GB) single rank x8 DDR4-2400 CAS-17-17-17". Online I read "PC2400T refers to DDR4 running at a 300MHz memory clock with a 14.6 CAS latency and 17-17-17 timings (CL-tRCD-tRP). PC2400 is simply a non-specified variant of DDR4 with the same memory...
  6. S

Which free NAS software on my HP Proliant Microserver Gen10?

Thanks again. I will check out FreeBSD for using ZFS. I haven't used FreeBSD for decades.
  7. S

Thanks again. I will check out FreeBSD for using ZFS. I haven't used FreeBSD for decades. I have 4 x 4 TB hard drives in the unit plus an SSD for the OS. I bought everything years ago and it has been sitting in boxes. How would this hardware interact with my using ZFS i.e. doing it in...
  8. S

Thanks for your help. I am pretty ignorant here. But people have mentioned that you flash this card to pass through (no RAID) configuration. It gives some kind of speed advantage? https://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/
  9. S

I have a HP Proliant Microserver Gen10 with 4 x 4tb hard drives, a 60gb SSD for the OS, 8 GB ECC ram (will upgrade to 16gb). I bought everything years ago but I only just got back into the country where I had this equipment stored. I want to use this as a media and file server. I also want to...
  10. S

What is the name of this power connector?

I have a HP microserver gen 10 which I want to put an SSD into to run the OS. There is a space where you can install an optical drive or an SSD. This is the 4 pin connector I have to power the device. In documentation and on the actual power socket it is labeled P3. So this is it. I think...
  11. S

Which processors are obsolete due to high power consumption?

Does anyone use a Xeon Phi card in their labs? They are intriguing. I see 61 core offerings for $90 something. Antminer S9 does 14.0 TH/s for $3000. I guess Xeon hardware is nowhere near competing with this mining efficiency. I appreciate that Monero takes evasive action to shake ASIC miners...
  12. S

I found a web site with stats on Xeons that has a helpful table at the bottom of the page showing chips with their stats including cores, power use, etc. https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Xeon/E5-2676_v3.html Looking at what is available second hand on Ali Express Xeon E5 2673V3...
  13. S

Thanks for your posts. I appreciate the help. There are quite a few youtube channels discussing the use of second hand xeon, and other, server chips for hobbiests and people wanting to put together a powerful rig on a budget. So far I haven't seen anyone who maintains a "scoreboard" showing...
  14. S

I am interested in experimenting with docker, Kubernetes, coin mining. I need a better platform to convert media files. So I have been looking into systems from old server hardware to clusters made from single board computers. Perhaps I have misunderstood. What should I look at when...