Recent content by STK439

1. S

3.5 inch HDD storage blade for HP c7000 enclosure

I read this guide DisklessUbuntuHowto - Community Help Wiki and decided to give it a go. More specifically, I plan to connect the NIC1's of all blades to a local network restricted to the enclosure, and run DHCP, TFTP, and NFS servers on one of the blades, i.e., the master blade. The rest of the...
  2. S

Interesting. I like the approach of diskless servers a lot. I did some research and found some using PXE boot to achieve that goal. I have not used PXE or the thumb drive approach, but I think they have some in common. One question for @hhp, does each of your blades have its own file system...
  3. S

Thanks for the detailed information. Could you comment on my question regarding boot thumb drives: How do you make persistent changes to the OS, including config changes and OS updates?
  4. S

My c7000 enclosure comes with 10 fans and 6 power supplies, but I'm currently using only 6 fans and 2 power supplies to save power. It's running on 240V, and I currently have 8 blades installed. I have installed Ubuntu server 18.04 on one of the blades and it seems to work fine. The rest of the...
  5. S

Thanks. That was what I found, too. What do you think is the downside if I use a DS2220sb and then share the files to the rest of the blades via NFS, compared to using a SAN? I'm mostly concerned with access speed.
  6. S

I only have the c7000 and don't have room for a rack. That's why I was hoping to find something that can be fit in c7000. But still thank you for the recommendations. I'm really new to blade system. Steep learning curve:)
  7. S

Thanks. Rack servers are not really an option for me. I got the blades and enclosure cheap therefore I decided to try them. They have amazing computation power packed in a small space. I have some CPU-bound computation to do with small amount of data stored on local disks. The 3.5 inch HDD...
  8. S

Greetings, I got a c7000 enclosure and some BL460c gen8 blades. I also have some 3.5 inch HDDs for storage, but they don’t fit in the blades. From google I can only find D2200sb for additional storage, but it also only takes 2.5 inch drives. Any thoughts on a storage blade that works in this...