Recent content by sstillwell

1. S

The NAS is dead, long live the NAS!

I'm curious why you'd lump Netgear and Synology together, yet keep QNAP as a breed apart. I'd consider it to be in the same class of device as the other two. Primary reason for choosing Synology in my case is DSM - it's a lot more pleasant to use and feature-rich than a lot of other options...
  2. S

The NAS is dead, long live the NAS!

Well, I had one too many failures on a Netgear ReadyNAS Pro (4 x 8TB WD RED, 2 x 500GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD). btrfs filesystem is pretty much completely hosed somehow...nothing that I've tried so far (sticking to read-only recovery methods, haven't decided if I'll send it in for (expensive)...
  3. S

Oracle Solaris 11.4

On Active Directory-based systems, it's intended that all name resolution (including bare/canonical host name resolution like \\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME) should be resolved through DNS rather than NetBIOS. Mostly that just means that your hostnames need to exist in your local DNS zone and proper...
  4. S

Napp-in-one (OmniOS) on ESXi 6.5U1, performance issues?

This article makes a large difference...as I'm sure you already know. :) Thanks.
  5. S

Upgraded the Napp-it VM to 16 GB RAM and restricted the ARC to about 13 GB of that. I may see some degradation in performance if I upgrade to 10 Gb networking, but at 1 Gb it's pretty much wire-speed throughput to the disk. Reads are a bit slower than writes, but it's otherwise perfectly...
  6. S

Ah, actually the second option in Bonjour and Autostart "Advertize SMB service for <hostname> (valid Pro or Dev edition) is permanently set to "disabled" (drop-down menu is enabled and responsive, but "disabled" is the only choice). Is that feature not included with a homeuse complete license...
  7. S

Bonjour is already enabled. I will look for option adding SMB as a discoverable resource.
  8. S

Thank you for responding. I'll run some of the tests and process your advice later in the day (3:00 AM here now), but when I said CIFS I was referring to Apple's use of cifs:// in server URLs, in other words, SMB1. I've removed L2ARC and SLOG from the RAID10 pool. Argh...forgot. NetBIOS is...
  9. S

Easystores Are Back - WDBCKA0080HBK-NESN - 8TB $159.99

Bought four yesterday - Thailand-made 256MB cache, white-labeled drives.
  10. S

Bonnie++ results on the RAID10 array: NAME SIZE Date(y.m.d) File Seq-Wr-Chr %CPU Seq-Write %CPU Seq-Rewr %CPU Seq-Rd-Chr %CPU Seq-Read %CPU Rnd Seeks %CPU Files Seq-Create Rnd-Create vmstore 14.5T 2018.02.21 16G 222 MB/s 79 186 MB/s 56 129...
  11. S

Oh, actually...one problem I'm getting is that the Napp-it appliance doesn't advertise its presence on the network. It's joined to my AD domain and I have a WINS server that it should be registered to...not understanding what additional steps I might need to take. I THINK that NetBIOS is...
  12. S

Hello, all! First-time poster, long-time reader of articles. Here's what I have: Napp-it latest appliance (with Home Complete license) running as a VM with 8 GB RAM and 2 vCPU on: Mac Pro 2008 - dual quad-core Xeon 2.8 GHz, 64 GB RAM, running ESXi 6.5U1 and latest critical and non-critical...