Recent content by southerndoc

1. S

PoE Camera - ESD Protection

Finally got my cameras up. Used shielded cables with a surge protector that was grounded. From the surge protector I used unshielded. A little bit of a hassle to throw in the surge protector, but I feel more comfortable with the setup.
  2. S

My camera installers (well, they're doing the retro cable runs) won't connect it to the grounding rod. They want a high voltage electrician to do that. I have to have one come over anyhow to install a ceiling fan in my wife's office and to replace some Z wave light switches that have gone bad...
  3. S

Cool story. How did you ground your TP302's?
  4. S

Seems to be the majority of people have had no problems with unshielded cable and without ethernet surge protectors. I think I'm going to go that route for simplicity and just use a spare PoE switch connected via fiber to my main switch to protect it.
  5. S

I probably made it into a thing when it didn't need to be.
  6. S

For those that didn't use surge suppressors with grounding, how long have your cameras been up and have you ever experienced an ESD/damage?
  7. S

For those of you who have PoE cameras installed on the exterior of your home (not on poles attached outside your home), did you put an ESD surge protector in place? Can you describe how you set it up?
  8. S

Synology HAT5300 vs Seagate Exos X16 10-14TB Drives

Can't figure out why my WD Reds failed over the years -- moreso than I would have expected. This is why I've been looking at other brands. You raise a valid point about Synology drives just being rebranded Toshiba drives. I'm wondering how much advantage there is for ability to upgrade...
  9. S

Synology HAT5300 vs Seagate Exos X16 10-14TB Drives

My WD Red 8 TB drives have had several failures over the years, and now I have two that are failing with bad sectors. My RS1221+ is configured in a RAID10 array. I'm planning to increase storage from 8 to 10, 12, 14, or 16 TB drives as they fail. Haven't decided on the size, but figured I...
  10. S

Integrating Greater than Gigabit DOCSIS 3.1 into a 10gig Network?

I've not had any issues at all. I'm using the adapter to connect to a Netgear Nighthawk CM2050V cable modem with Xfinity gigabit internet service. Because of overprovisioning, I'm getting 1400-1500 Mbps downstream and 42 Mbps upstream. I'm getting these numbers consistently, and I haven't...
  11. S

I don't think the NIC is required to negotiate. My Mikrotik SFP-to-RJ45 adapter (Mikrotik S+RJ10) is connected to a UniFi Dream Machine Pro, which only supports 1/10G. So the adapter is negotiating to 2.5G. When I replaced it with a UniFi SFP-to-RJ45 adapter (which only does 1/10G), it would...
  12. S

Ethernet Cable Recommendations for Home

Finally got the CAT6a and fiber optic line run. I dropped 3 lines + 1 fiber optic to my office. Getting it up was just as hard as getting the fish tape down. Probably would've been a ton easier had I pulled 1 line at a time. The head of the ethernet cables (that I did a great job taping but...
  13. S

Ethernet Cable Recommendations for Home

Out of curiosity, if I had gone with shielded cable instead of unshielded, how does one ground the shielded cable? Do you ground at the cabinet with a shielded patch panel and simply run the ground wire to the grounding bus bar or is there more to it?
  14. S

I have a Netgear CM2050V. Love it. I don't use the telephone jack on it. Only ordered the telephone version because the CM2000 was backordered. It has a 2.5G RJ45 port. Wish it had an SFP+ port.