Recent content by Solkku

1. Solkku

Help finding power supply with dual 8-pin EPS connectors?

While upgrading my main rig, I also needed a fully modular PSU with 2 x EPS 12V connectors for my motherboard. I opted for the 80+ Gold Corsair RM850i after reading this review score. The EVGA Supernova 850w G2 was my second choice.
  2. Solkku

Upgrading NAS to Xeon, thoughts?

I've never tried XPenology on it to be honest, I just ran NAS4Free for a year. But I've seen some articles/guides on the Internet with people installing XPenology on a USB-stick and runs it on the N54L...
  3. Solkku

So sorry to hear about the misfortune of your N54L. Couldn't you add a temporary low profile graphics card so you get it up and running and OS installed? If I remember correctly there's a PCIe slot inside... I'll probably sell the N54L to my friend, as he has shown some interest towards it. But...
  4. Solkku

The spinners have now been transferred to the new server and it has now replaced the old N54L on top of the wardrobe. :) "Fits like a glove!" :D
  5. Solkku

Oops, my bad! The scenario described above is "NFS", isn't it? I must've mixed the two. So iSCSI just gives you a chunk of HDD space that you then partition into vmdk disks for other VMs in ESXi?
  6. Solkku

Yeah I think I will! That DS Cloud just looks so much more sophisticated than ownCloud... Quick question about iSCSI. All tutorials explaining how to enable it in ESXi ends with them adding the datastore to your hypervisor. What is the next step from there to make other VMs see it? I was under...
  7. Solkku

I've decided to stick with what works for now, so P14 firmware on the M1015 it is! :cool: While browsing server videos on Youtube yesterday I stumbled upon XPEnology. I've seen that name tossed around on the forums & Internet, but not knowing what it was I never looked into it closer. How...
  8. Solkku

@gigatexal No, no you understand it wrong.. this Windows 7 on the SSD is only a temporary test environment, as it's the most familiar to me. The final solution will not me Microsoft-based. ;) Just want the drives detected in Windows so I can "count" on the setup working as it should... The...
  9. Solkku

Yeah weird indeed! I've tried google also but with no results. Also just checked with NAS4Free, and the drives do show up there as well. Was able to create a ZFS Pool after I formatted them (pic below is before). But according to the documentation I've read, you need to flash the card's...
  10. Solkku

I don't think there's anything wrong with the cables, as I just flashed it back to P14 (where it was when I initially plugged it in yesterday) and the drives show up just fine under Windows...
  11. Solkku

Does anyone know why the MegaRAID Storage Manager software doesn't recognize the drives anymore? Am I missing something? Originally the M1015 SAS-card was flashed to 9211-8i IT mode version P14 and they showed up fine (check screenshots on previous page). I then flashed it to P17 and all drives...
  12. Solkku

Like I said in the first post, this server will also host a small modded Minecraft server, so that's why I chose this cpu to begin with. This is what the current plans are for running on a hypervisor: - NAS4Free / FreeNAS (with Plex Media server) - Apache webserver with PHP, MySQL etc. (low...
  13. Solkku

So that I can get bare-metal access to the spinners from the NAS appliance. SMART data and all that other stuff.
  14. Solkku

ESXi I will deffinately test, and ProxMox too. Also napp-it looks nice, but will have to look closer into that (on what can be done with it). Anyhow, spinner storage will be ZFS, that much I do know. :)
  15. Solkku

Thanks! That has been the plan all along. :) A hypervisor is going in this bad boy... which one I don't know yet. That's why I have those test 320GB spinners attached, so I can test pass-through with different hypervisors.