Recent content by SmashedSqwurl

1. S

Minisforum MS-01 opnsense VM: WAN & LAN low performances

Is that CHR under Proxmox, baremetal, or something else?
  2. S

Minisforum MS-01 opnsense VM: WAN & LAN low performances

I've been having some similar issues with an X710-DA2 PCIe card in a Supermicro system. iperf3 tests to and from my Vyos VM are all fine, but running from a client through the firewall to an upstream server gives terrible upload speeds.
  3. S

New Proxmox Server Build Supermicro X11SPA / X12SPL

It depends on how much CPU performance you need. The 4310 is about 20% faster than the 4210R and should have about the same or better idle power consumption. The X12SPL-F is probably the more power efficient of the two motherboards (ATX instead of EATX, fewer bells and whistles). I'd also make...
  4. S

At the end of the day if your main priority is PCIe lanes, then Xeon Scalable is probably the best perf/power/price combo. It's just that you're paying a penalty on the single thread perf and power efficiency compared to something more modern.
  5. S

One thing to bear in mind is that you at least get the GPU for free if you go with an LGA1700 system. Onboard SATA would probably be sufficient for up to 6 disks. The NVMe card might be an issue since Intel can only do x8x4 bifurcation, but you might be able to find a board with 4 NVMe slots...
  6. S

Yes, I run Proxmox. To echo @NPS I'll probably end up replacing it with an Intel 12th/13th gen system at some point for power efficiency unless there's a big enough drop in NVMe prices that going all-flash becomes reasonable and I would need the PCIe lanes.
  7. S

I've been using an X11SPA-TF with a Xeon Silver 4114T, 128GB RAM, 1 NVMe SSD, 6 SATA SSDs, and 6 SAS HDDs as my main storage + container host for a few years now. No major complaints aside from it idling in the 160-170W range. My estimate is that the drives account for about 60W of that.
  8. S

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

The Intel-coded breakout DAC from FS.com is working like a charm: https://www.fs.com/products/36276.html EDIT: I think it's likely I just had a bad cable to start with
  9. S

One thing I noticed was that it received packets just fine, but sending packets was a CRC errorfest. My (mostly baseless) theory right now is that the card has a hard time figuring out TX power with generic DACs.
  10. S

I had similar issues going between an XL710 in 4x10 mode and a 7250 using a generic breakout DAC that was listed as "compatible" by the eBay seller. I switched it out for an Intel-coded 10Gtek QSFP+ 40G SR4 optic, MTP to 4xLC breakout fiber, and Brocade SFP+ optics on the switch side. So far the...
  11. S

Updating the HGST HDD & SSD firmware

How did the new firmware end up working out for you? One of my new-to-me HUH721010AL4200 drives with the A21D firmware is starting to act a little flaky with write timeouts.