Recent content by Skud

1. S

ES Xeon Discussion

I think I’m going to lean towards the 24 core regardless. Thanks. I appreciate the help. Out of curiosity where do you get the information to look up the Q spec numbers? I can't find anything on QX7K anywhere.
  2. S

ES Xeon Discussion

So the seller is saying that the 20c version is “QS1” and won’t work in supermicro boards. The 24c is “QS2” and is almost the same as retail and will work. That seems to go against the pictures with the 20c version CPUz not showing it being an ES chip, but the 24c does show ES. 20c is QK7K (no...
  3. S

ES Xeon Discussion

Oh gotcha. So then it doesn’t make sense that it would have two fewer cores but still identify as a 3345.
  4. S

ES Xeon Discussion

Yes. It’s listed as a QS. There seems to be a trend where the 20c is listed as QS1/QX7K and the 24 is QS2.
  5. S

ES Xeon Discussion

Interesting. I guess this makes sense then if they did the same thing with the w-3000 series QS.
  6. S

ES Xeon Discussion

I’ve reached out to the seller to ask. I wonder if this is the result of a market strategy change? Maybe originally the 3345 was supposed to be 20c with 3.2ghz base but was changed at the last minute to 24? Maybe these are those super early units? I can’t think of any other reason both models...
  7. S

ES Xeon Discussion

Does anyone know the difference between these two CPUs? Both are listed as Xeon W-3345 QS. Both show the same S-spec (SRKSU). There’s are 20 core and 24 core models listed. Officially, the 3345 is 24 core. I can’t find mention of a 20 core version anywhere, but on some of the 20 core listings...
  8. S

Micron 7450 1.92TB $99

Wow. I bought two just before posting and there were 16 sold/more than 10 available still.
  9. S

Micron 7450 1.92TB $99

Looks like a decent deal for a relatively recent PCIe 4.0 drive. Just be aware that this is a 22110 m.2. Micron 7450 PRO 1.92 TB NVME SSD (MTFDKBG1T9TFR) 649528924698 | eBay Riley
  10. S

HPE D3XXX JBOD Thread

Yeah, I got the Arduino fully working and it works very well - except for the PSU fan. It’s not overly loud, just whiny. I’ll try and grab some pics.
  11. S

HPE D3XXX JBOD Thread

One of the interesting things is that I noticed the PSU fans always seem to be loud, but it does ramp up/down with temperature. They're the same PSU as a DL360/380 server and when utilized in that manner they're quiet. So, something in the shelf is controlling the PSU fan speed.
  12. S

Optane P1600X 58GB $40

Depending on your risk tolerance and hardware capabilities you can pool multiple SLOGs, which will increase bandwidth. I've done this before with the old Sun F40s (4 x 48GB MLC) and NVDIMMs. Worked as expected. Riley
  13. S

Samsung SAS 3.84tb SSD pm1633 $240

Good price for SAS flash. Couple things to keep in mind: 1) I think these were affected by the 32k hour bug. If these aren't already bricked then one would need access to the latest firmware, and the ability to load it. 2) They came from an EMC SAN, so they're probably formatted 520 byte...
  14. S

Free virtualization OS

If you have the hardware and are committed then the Nutanix community edition is very compelling. I ran it in a homelab for a couple years and it was rock-stable.
  15. S

How to avoid manic depression when partitioning your NIC using SR-IOV

Yup - I had this happen once before. I had some SQL database names emailed to me from a Mac, which were copied/pasted from an email. I created the DBs by copy/pasting the names and they all had the shorter dash (en dash?). Took a while to figure out why no one could connect to the DBs.