Recent content by sko

1. S

Qotom Denverton fanless system with 4 SFP+

I suspect the unit won't boot because of too much load on the SFP+ ports. The SFP+ specification allows for either <1W (type 1) or <1.5W (type 2) power consumption - *all* copper modules are WAY over those limits, so they may or may not work and may or may not damage the port either due to high...
  2. S

SmartOS

again: smartOS is a hypervisor distribution. if you want a fileserver, run it in a zone. The triton stack offers web-GUI for management and there is also project fifio, which is more geared towards also working on smaller infrastructures (e.g. no dedicated servers for management nodes needed)...
  3. S

BMC Reset Default Password

credentials don't change from upgrading the BMC on supermicro. only if you checked everything that can be cleared during an update (which should even give a warning). Also "12.61.21" doesn't seem to be a valid BMC firmware version - up until ~X11 they referred to the redfish version (e.g. 3.94)...
  4. S

SmartOS

then smartOS is the wrong tool for your job. it is an *immutable* image, i.e. you keep it 'as is' apart from its main config file for fast and easy migration and recovery. Anything you want to keep its packages, settings etc - like a fileserver - belong in zones. Those are then easily...
  5. S

SmartOS

smartOS is basically a hypervisor. you *do not want* to run anything directly on the hypervisor, let alone SMB... Just create a zone, delegate the datasets to that zone and run it there. also: none of those 3 packages you installed (on your client?) have anything to do with smartOS or are...
  6. S

Best SFP+ 10 Gbps Card?

just to be clear: are we talking about server hardware or desktop/gaming crap here?
  7. S

Best SFP+ 10 Gbps Card?

The X520 are PCIe 2.0; so of course they need 4 lanes for full bandwidth. X710 is PCIe 3.0 but the specs clearly say it's an x4 card, so again: of course you'll get lower bandwidth. However, usually you get at least 4 lanes to a PCIe slot; 2 lanes are usually more a thing for crippled M.2 slots...
  8. S

Best SFP+ 10 Gbps Card?

same here - they 'just work'™ Although one could argue the 710 chipset is more energy-efficient, so if there's a good deal for one of those I'd prefer them over the 520.
  9. S

Best SFP+ 10 Gbps Card?

Then don't use copper? This will also very likely solve your thermal problems and definitely your link speed problems. As for transceivers: given that 10Gbit is dirt-cheap nowadays I wouldn't gamble with noname modules. FS.com sells SFP+ transceivers from ~20$ and they just work, have a proper...
  10. S

Making Supermicro SC743 more quiet

Just make sure your special device will *NEVER* run full - the pool performance will take a total nosedive, comparable to a pool running at >90% used capacity. I'd simply try only offloading metadata to the special device first. This usually already gives the biggest performance impact; then one...
  11. S

This can also be monitored via ipmitool: ipmitool dcmi power reading 1_min That's also how I monitor all my/our hosts from zabbix. To get somewhat 'modern' performance from spinning rust, add a mirror of SSDs as "special" device to a pool of HDDs. This will offload the random-IO-heavy metadata...
  12. S

by randomly searching the internet :p TBH, no idea - best guess would be tcpdump'ing traffic from the supermicro smcipmi tool or ipmiview and a remote BMC... The script runs as a (very basic) service. The rc file simply uses daemon, which creates the pidfile and calls a script that only...
  13. S

There are some threads here regarding controlling the fans via IPMI on supermicro systems. The linked scripts vary wildly in regards to feedback loops, target temperatures etc, but the key information is the raw BMC command to adjust fan speed: ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x0[01]...
  14. S

I can't solve the problem 528 to 512

don't post pictures of text, especially if half of it is missing... just copy&paste with tags or use e.g. termbin.com (<command> | nc termbin.com 9999) and post the link so everyone trying to help can read the output properly... There are some firmware variants out there on such OEM-drives...
  15. S

Auto Negotiate versus Fixed Speeds on 10G SFP+ Modules

I.e. only a fraction of the advertised/paid bandwidth is used and even this only in a handful of small bursts over the day? 99% of home users are completely clueless as to what their actual bandwitdth requirements are and wouldn't notice if their expensive Gbit line caps at <100Mbit thanks to...