Recent content by Shiouen

1. Shiouen

Idea for personal server build

Thing is, I am trying to get away from the racks. The tinier the box, the better. The lower power consumption (yet without much impact on performance) the better. Could you check the link I provided? I'll post it again: Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core, Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower - System Build -...
  2. Shiouen

Idea for personal server build

I've always had the urge to build a personal server for the fun of it, but never had the chance due to expensive/hard to come by hardware. I recently did some more research and set together an interesting build. Does it look like a solid setup to serve all sorts of services? I once planned on...
  3. Shiouen

Does the GA-H170N-WIFI (rev. 1.0) motherboard actually support ECC or not?

Maybe it's just because I'm looking for a specific configuration. Not too expensive, 32GB ECC ram min., mITX (or µATX in case it's a perfect fit), capable CPU for running some basic services (torrent, nas, webserving, game server(s) and just fun stuff). It's really hard to find, especially since...
  4. Shiouen

I've noticed that consumer LGA 1151 boards which support ECC can only run the memory in non-ECC mode. At least for the boards I've been looking at. Quite a shame really, since server-grade hardware is that much more expensive and bloated with functionality you might not really need but do pay...
  5. Shiouen

UDIMM vs RDIMM is not really my point here. The fact that there is no way to use (functional) ECC on this board is what bothers me. I'll be using FreeNAS with ZFS so ECC would be an absolute must. And from the description it says only non-ECC mode is supported. :(
  6. Shiouen

Glad I checked out the details then. Was thinking this board would be a great fit for a mITX server box. Guess not :(. Thanks!
  7. Shiouen

I am not sure what they mean by 'operate in non-ECC mode'. Do they mean you can just throw in ECC memory but the error correction is not done?
  8. Shiouen

First server build. Need suggestions on chosen hardware.

I now remember why I wasn't happy about the Ahead-it Webshop: Prices shown are VAT excl., which is 21% in Belgium. They sell your motherboard for €253.25. The prices a friend of yours gave you are pretty nice.. Btw, your motherboard supports Intel VHD. Do you actually use it?
  9. Shiouen

Prices are quite high. €250-400 for most boards for E3v3's. Most E3-1231v3 I can find (new ones, no ebay and the likes) end up costing about €270-325. I guess it's wishful thinking that waiting for skylake will save me some money haha. I could use my business (activities in all things...
  10. Shiouen

Thanks for the input, it totally helps! I have the feeling that I'm getting used to the idea of waiting for Skylake. If I were able to get supermicro boards easily for cheap I'd be sold. Sadly I am not able to where I live (Belgium). I'm not very sure when I finally find the parts I want, but...
  11. Shiouen

Thanks again for all the replies guys, really appreciate it! I've been searching for other options than the c2550 and finally decided giving µATX a chance too after looking at the Node 804. Still, same problems/annoyances persist. So many server boards seem totally overpriced for the older-tech...
  12. Shiouen

another good amount of solid information, thanks very much! Most ITX indeed have that max amount of RAM, but the board I selected first (which doesn't have VT-d) has space for 64GB, which is nice. Ok one more question for now. Let's say I go for separation of storage and server applications...
  13. Shiouen

Thanks for the solid advice. Definitely going to look into an E3 solution. It's good to have a confirmation on 6 disks - raidz2 hehe. I'm not sure what you mean by SSD as cache device (cache for what?). I plan to use it as a host OS drive. I see! Time to look around for which suggestions I can...
  14. Shiouen

I see, thanks for informing me about it. It does get me kind of stuck.. Would you recommend any mobo + cpu that will be as satisfying?
  15. Shiouen

After googling a bit, you are correct. I am currently not planning on using an extra PCI card, but are there other downsides to it?