Recent content by Shawn

1. S

Ubiquiti UAP-AC Lite physical differences between units?

The older unit on the right has a glossy finish, and doesn't heat up as much but feels lighter. The left unit was purchased on April 20, 2017, and has a felt or almost furry finish. It gets very hot but is somewhat heavier and seems slightly larger but it might be the camera. The older unit...
  2. S

Ryzen Build 3x PCI Express full size?

B350 seems to have meh IOMMU groups/support but Asrock's X370 Taichi and some other boards on the X370 platform seem to have cluttery but working IOMMU. I understand your point about ECC, but I can't see myself going from an E3 w/ ECC to Ryzen/AMD without ECC. It just feels wrong, especially...
  3. S

All AMD (Ryzen and RX) Monero Mining Rig

How does a GTX 980 ti compare to AMD 480 and 470? Thinking about running Monero when I'm afk (about 10 hours a day) to get some pocket change. I usually forget to close a game anyway, so no matter what my PC is pulling moderate to high amounts of electricity (190-210W usually).
  4. S

Ryzen Build 3x PCI Express full size?

I've been hearing nagging to get rid of my E3 server. It was a 1U but that was too noisy for the SO, so I moved it to a mid-tower case. Now it's too ugly/cluttery. So here's my goal: Eliminate both E3 home-server and Intel Workstation, with a Ryzen build. I was thinking: Ryzen 1700 80+ Gold...
  5. S

Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch ES-16-XG SFP+ Compatibility Thread

I left it plugged in for three days. At my server room I spent probably 3-3 1/2 hours trying to get it to work on day 1 (when the DACs arrived). I had two DACs shown, one plugged into a Windows PC that works fine with the UBNT transceiver + fiber cable, and the other was my Proxmox node. In...
  6. S

Yeah, I would not recommend the XG-16 for production use for at least ten months, maybe a year from now. By then the software issues should be resolved. Honestly at my old job we used a Quanta LB6M as the 10gbps switch, and it was somewhat buggy but in a different way. I feel bad though for...
  7. S

Same here, couldn't get my two CU3Ms working either. Here's the odd part, I updated my Unifi-beta XG-16 to 3.7.24.5422 from 3.7.19.5372, still couldn't get the DAC cable to work, as shown here: I tried every port, none would work. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, and still nothing...