Recent content by Shafarevich

1. S

Anyone confirm getting Rev. 2 EPYC 7002 Boards?

I got a H11SSL-i Rev2.0. It works well with 7402P. I contacted a Supermicro distributor in UK and they helped me to make an order through one of their resellers.
  2. S

Epyc 7402P Build

It is for physics simulation in computer graphics applications, formulated as an optimization problem. I write a parallel numerical solver for the problem, using OpenMP and CUDA for parallelization. The solver is memory bound, hence the need for Epyc Rome that supports 8-channel memory. 7402P is...
  3. S

Epyc 7402P Build

This is the first time I built a PC and I have learned a lot from this forum. It is now working as intended. A big thank to everyone! Build’s Name: Epyc Simulation Workstation Operating System/ Storage Platform: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS CPU: Epyc 7402P Motherboard: Supermicro H11SSL-i (Rev2.0) Chassis...
  4. S

Is it worth waiting for 3200Mhz ECC RAM?

Yes some of my workloads are bandwidth limited and will benefit from higher RAM frequencies. But at least it is good to know that other workloads would not suffer as much on slower RAMs. :-) I have used geizhals before, and unfortunately none of the 3200 modules it found ships to the UK. I...
  5. S

Is it worth waiting for 3200Mhz ECC RAM?

I am building an EPYC Rome server, with every component ready except for the RAM. Rome supports 3200Mhz ECC RAM, but such RAM modules are hardly available in the UK. I tried to buy some from an online retailer but received engineering samples, which I had returned for a refund. Meanwhile...
  6. S

Auxiliary 4-pin ATX 12V connector on Supermicro H11SSL-i

Thanks for the advice! BTW I found an article online that says you can use a molex-to-4pin connector if there is no 4-pin cable from your PSU: I guess I can simply use one of the 4-pins from the 4+4 pin cable, instead of using such an adapter?
  7. S

Auxiliary 4-pin ATX 12V connector on Supermicro H11SSL-i

I am using a Supermicro H11SSL-i motherboard. Besides the usual 24-pin motherboard power and 8-pin CPU power connectors, the board has a 4-pin ATX power connector (circled out in the bottom left of the image below). The motherboard manual says it provides "auxiliary power to peripheral...
  8. S

Engineering Sample ECC RAM?

I bought eight Hynix 3200MHz ECC RAM modules from an online store that appears to be reputable here in the UK. When they arrived, I noticed that each of them comes with a yellow sticker saying "Engineering Sample". The product page of that online store does not mention they are selling...
  9. S

Any new Supermicro motherboard on the pipe for EPYC Rome?

It appears that you had better avoid Kingston memory modules, as they may use DRAM chips from different suppliers for the same model number, and that can cause problems: RAM recommendations for Supermicro X10 LGA1150 motherboards
  10. S

Yes the spec says it supports 3200 memory, although I hope they could also update the tested memory list to confirm which 3200 modules have been tested for compatibility. Gigabyte has already provided an up-to-date memory QVL list for their Rev2 boars even though the boards are not available yet.
  11. S

Glad to see that Supermicro updated their website to clarify the CPU support for H11SSL-i. I wish they could update the tested memory list too, as currently it only shows 2666Mhz memory modules...
  12. S

Just found out that Gigabyte's website has updated information about their rev2 boards that support EPYC, for example: MZ01-CE1 (rev. 2.x) | Server Motherboard - GIGABYTE U.K.. The QVL Support List shows that this board supports up to 3200Mhz memory, so the only Epyc Rome feature missing is PCIe...
  13. S

According to this Anandtech article: AMD BIOS Limitations: Bristol Ridge Dropped From Certain Motherboards, in order to support multiple generations of CPUs on the same socket, the microcodes for all supported processors need to be stored in the BIOS together. So it looks like the 16MB ROMs are...
  14. S

It looks like limited ROM size is not a problem only for EPYC motherboards. Someone on Level1techs forum pointed to this article in German: Auch ältere Mainboards für AMDs Epyc 7002 und Threadripper 3000 mit zu kleinen BIOS-Chips? | Planet 3DNow!, which says currently many X399 Threadripper...
  15. S

I was told by Supermicro's sales representative that rev2.00 boards support Epyc ROME without PCIe gen 4. As for Rev1 boards, the bios download page for H11SSL boards contains the following texts: - "BIOS R2.0 only support MB Rev2.00 with 32MB SPI flash ROM to support both AMD 7001/7002 series...