Recent content by S7ewie

1. S

Back to the drawing board

Hey @i386 thanks for the response! At the moment I only have 2 x 2TB drives so at some point very soon I'll need to replace those entirely to make way for more space. 22TB drives area also hideously expensive to replace. I'd rather have more smaller drives than less bigger drives. I guess 4-8...
  2. S

Back to the drawing board

Hey everyone, I'm looking to build/buy my first ever home server, and I'm struggling a little to find the right information. I've phrased my questions various ways on reddit and got very limited response. Best response I had was here but I went straight into consumer CPUs so I want to wind it...
  3. S

CPU & Mobo for NAS and small Gaming Servers

@i386 Yeah fair enough on ecc. I get the impression it's not vital. I'm trying to understand what actually happens when there is a problem with memory. I can't see me needing more than 128GB RAM, at least to start with I imagine I'll have about half of that. Hmm okay, can you recommend any...
  4. S

@i386 Thanks for the response! You've given me some things to think about haha. How important is ecc? I don't know much about xeon CPUs so how to they compare in performance and price to something like the i5-10400? Motherboards too. Will definitely look into raid controllers! I assumed these...
  5. S

Hi all, I’m a complete newbie to home servers but I’ve been building and upgrading my own gaming pc for the past 14 years or so and I also have a small 2 bay Synology NAS. I want to build a home server, partly because it looks like a really cool project but also because I want to expand my NAS...