Recent content by rysti32

1. R

Mellanox ConnectX-2 VPI vs ConnectX-2?

As far as I know in ethernet mode they are equivalent. I believe it's the same hardware and firmware under the hood, but the VPI card has the IB firmware as well, and some logic to detect whether to use IB or Ethernet.
  2. R

Mikrotik CRS317-1G-16S+RM / 10GbE

Hm. I'm using RouterOS ATM. Maybe I should try SwOS.
  3. R

Mikrotik CRS317-1G-16S+RM / 10GbE

Has anybody had luck with 1GbE copper SFPs? I tried a FS.com one and didn't have a lot of success. I managed to get it to link some of the time if I disable autonegotiation on both sides of the link, but it was very inconsistent. The Mikrotik S+RJ45 seems to have no problem doing 1GbE as long...
  4. R

Need help determining if an Intel X550-T2 is real of fake. speed issues

What kind of network traffic are you using to benchmark? I doubt that it's a fake. Probably your issue is that you're hitting a bottleneck elsewhere in the system.
  5. R

QDR Mellanox Performance Test Results with Varying BAR-space Size

SR-IOV allows you to create multiple virtual PCI devices (called VFs) that shared the functionality of the physical device. It's typically used for server virtualization. In the case of a networking device, typically when a VM needs to communicate over the network, it has to use a virtual...
  6. R

FreeBSD ZFS NFS share issues

Do you see any error messages in /var/log/messages on the NFS server at the time of the Windows error?
  7. R

Rackmount Mining Rig

One warning about these Rosewill cases: they actually occupy 5U, not 4U. There are two problems: the first is that the screw holes on the side for the rails aren't aligned properly, so the case will occupy 2/3 of one U, 3U, and then 1/3U of another. The other problem is that the case is...
  8. R

Looking to convert old desktop to NAS (8 - 12bay)

Do you need a rackmount chassis, or is a tower case okay? IME it's way easier to find a quiet tower case than modding a rackmount case to be quiet. Getting hotswap bays in a tower may be tricky, though. How large is your CPU cooler? Will it fit into a 2U case? I wound up going with a 4U...
  9. R

Fastest File Transfer over 40gigE.

You are correct. The card must be in Infiniband mode. I'd recommend contacting Mellanox support and asking how to force the cards into Ethernet mode, as that will be the first step in getting better performance out of the card.
  10. R

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Has the price on the T1700G-28TQ jumped up recently? I was looked at it a couple of months ago and I would swear it was going for about $350 CAD, but now I can't find it anywhere for less than $500 CAD. I'm not sure if I happened to miss out on a really great deal, if I mistakenly took note of...