Recent content by rootgremlin

1. R

TUTORIAL: Beauty by simplicity, OR one ZFS Snapshot used by 5 Layers of Applications

This is about ZFS Filesystem and the (not) need to stack multiple layers of ZFS and snapshots, but made to utilize all the functionality from ZFS napshots on the proxmox host. to achieve this fabulous glory of software-engineering i utilized this projects: cv4pve-autosnap and Zamba Fileserver...
  2. R

EU WD (Westerndigital, SanDisk,...) - Black-Friday-sale (18TB HDD - 299€)

try to change the localized url to your country ( the "de-at" part) that worked at least for de-de.
  3. R

3.84TB Micron 5100 (sata)

those are SATA, so no changing sector size emulation... stick with the native size! So it seems that the <4TB drives are 4k, the 4tb is 8k and the 8tb is 16k sector size. Also the Firmware update package ( Micron Technology, Inc. ) indicates the 3 different "hardware-revisions" as there are 3...
  4. R

yes, 8k sector size, see following output of mine smartctl 7.2 2020-12-30 r5155 [x86_64-linux-5.11.22-5-pve] (local build) Copyright (C) 2002-20, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org === START OF INFORMATION SECTION === Device Model: Micron_5100_MTFDDAK3T8TBY_SED Serial...
  5. R

that could be because those are 8k drives...... at least that is what i remember mine reporting in smartmontools....
  6. R

LSi 1078 Chipset *DOES* Support Disks >2TB

i just stumbled upon this file https://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/data_lib/S11196_v1.0_Support_for_Drives_Greater_than_2_TB_for_SAS1_IT_IR_Products.pdf which states that 2TB disks and greater *ARE* supportet as long as the disk uses SAS and the Controller is in IT Mode. Reasoning from the...
  7. R

Supermicro Powersupply "uses" 50000Watts

so you are the new king in town with your 60000Watt peaks ;)
  8. R

at least i am not the only one.... For now i have fixed it by eliminating unreasonable (i.e. >500W on an 500W Powersupply) readings from the reporting and in extend on my graphical logging. Now i have a nice little graph that i can work with.
  9. R

I just bought a X9DRi-LN4F + board and it won't turn on, please help.

throw away those gaming toys, you are in the big boys game now ;) seriously, your powersupply does not have the necessary amount of CPU Power plugs. Its not about the total power rating, but the needed amount of plugs. Serverboards typically need a special server powersupplys because of the...
  10. R

it would be more like 217A over here (==230V) You tell me if i am doing something wrong when i read the 5 digits from the picture (the marked 49239 Highest Peak Watts) Thats my whole point, what the f... could it be???? since it is happening with an x10 AND an x11 board across 3 differen...
  11. R

Yeah, and it is glowing and i cant's see anymore ;) No, not my instruments. The 1st pic is from the build in ipmi webinterface, the other pics are pnp4nagios graphs which use the nagios Performance Data that rely on a plugin that gets its data from redfish. The point is, i already switched...
  12. R

on the ipmi page of my Server, an Supermicro 825TQC-r740LPB Chassis with an X11SPL-F Mainboard and an PWS-501P-1R Powersupply i repeatedly get readings of the powerconsumption of up to 50kW. This messes up every form of logging. i had already tried with another powersupply on this server...
  13. R

xeon silver 4221 witch slower than DDR4-2400 ram

does this work? does a xeon silver, which is spec'ed for DDR4-2400, run with slower memory? reason is, i can get a great deal on DDR4-2133 memory, and the memory increase far outweights the performanceimpact it may have for my use. of course only if it will work can anyone confirm if it will...
  14. R

X11SCV-L or X11SCL-iF

regarding the pre-boot console over serial.... all intel-supermicro boards i had heald in my hands could do that after you activeted it in the bios. after all, supermicro makes lots of custom boards for hardware-appliances which most of them do not have any kind of video output. and finally...