Recent content by robfromsa

1. R

Oh please Please PLEASE love me Mellanox!!

Bought two Mellanox SN2010 switches Summer last year and they are working wonderfully. Reached out to Mellanox at the time for a service contract so I get switch OS updates and called them, emailed them, then called them again, then emailed them, then ... well, you get the idea. So far I have...
  2. R

Does a Mellanox SN2010 SFP28 port support 1GbE?

Thanks @i386 - I will go with your advice. :)
  3. R

@i386 More reading shows that I need a 1000BASE-T transceiver. In your opinion, would this one work? https://www.fs.com/products/147159.html I also don't see any option to purchase a Mellanox-specific model - is this required and if not, which vendor-specific model should I specify...
  4. R

@i386 Many thanks for pointing this out! Question - can I use this transceiver or do I need specifically a 1000BASE-T transceiver for this purpose? Hoping to order what I need this afternoon.
  5. R

Hello All, We are configuring our Mellanox SN2010 switches and need to configure one of the SFP28 ports for 1GbE to connect to the Internet circuit in our cabinet. I don't see on the Mellanox datasheet explicit support for 1GbE connection - only 10/25GbE. We purchased several of these...
  6. R

SFP28 DAC cable vendor recommendations

Once again - thanks @ano !!
  7. R

SFP28 DAC cable vendor recommendations

So all the shiny new toys have arrived - Mellanox switches and 25GbE network cards for our servers - now I need to order DACs. It was recommended by some very helpful folk on this forum that I purchase DACs (all connections are within a single cabinet) from fs.com, but this link only offers...
  8. R

Does such a switch even exist?

No vSAN @ano - all servers have directly attached (NVMe) storage.
  9. R

Thanks for the input @bitbckt - I’ll stick with Mellanox as far as possible.
  10. R

@ano @bitbckt Here are some links I sent to our hardware vendor for the SFP28 cards requesting pricing. It seems that I am required to go with a SuperMicro card for the hyperconverged servers (4 nodes, 2U NVMe) we use. I will avoid the Broadcom options as advised - this email went out before I...
  11. R

Wow - that's really good to know - thanks @ano !!
  12. R

Yep @bitbckt - I will be doing the physical server and network cabling. I have put a job out on Upwork.com to get help from an experienced network engineer to assist with the MLX switch and pfSense firewall config. Trying not to be concerned about bringing a complete stranger into my network...
  13. R

Thanks @ano - I'm trying to wrap up my ordering spree and all this info is really helpful. Good to know about the possible speed/duplex requirements when mixing SFP+/28. Hopefully the MLX-based SFP28 NICs will be available off-the-shelf. Really, REALLY appreciate all of the help and guidance...
  14. R

Haha!! I pretend LOTS of things don't exist in the full-stack software development and compiler world. LOL @bitbckt - Lovely! Thank you again.
  15. R

Again - thank you @bitbckt !! I remember someone much earlier in this thread referencing that I shouldn't assume that SFP28 would correctly auto-negotiate with SFP+ even though compatible, so this gave me pause. I'm actually planning to make a clean sweep of it and replace the NICs in our...