Recent content by Robert Townley

1. Robert Townley

ConnectX-3 vs ConnectX-3 Pro?

NVIDIA moved it. "Mellanox Adapters - Comparison Table" ESPCommunity
  2. Robert Townley

Flashing stock Mellanox firmware to OEM (EMC) ConnectX-3 IB/Ethernet dual-port QSFP adapter

Wonder if the fiber optic cable is not long enough because that Arista QSFP-LR4-40G is meant for Long Range multi kilometer distances.
  3. Robert Townley

Flashing stock Mellanox firmware to OEM (EMC) ConnectX-3 IB/Ethernet dual-port QSFP adapter

Wonder if you have access to the HPE firmware updates? HPE might flash the IBM card so it is branded HPE. Dell did this to three HPE Mellanox cards.
  4. Robert Townley

I am a noob, but looks to me that the QSFP+ is a LongRange SingleModeFiber transmiter that requires as much 3.5Watts, but 2.5Watts is the max power consumption because the High Power Class (> 3.5W) is not enabled? Post the same output for the working cards, please? Extended identifier...
  5. Robert Townley

@gethro2k did you try flashing it with firmware from HPE? When i put a HP branded Mellanox into a Dell, the Dell Firmware update flashed it with the latest "Dell" firmware and worked fine. So yes, a HPE branded card running Dell Firmware. Not sure if it was the lifecycle controller firmware...
  6. Robert Townley

ConnectX-2 MHRH2A-XSR 2.10 firm changes DEV_ID from 26418 to 26428

The "FW Version" versus "FW Version(Running)" lines tells me a graceful shutdown and cold restart may have helped. flint -d mt26418_pci_cr0 query
  7. Robert Townley

Can you still get to the Linux cli of vmware? lsmod | egrep -i '(MLX4)' modinfo mlx4_core | egrep port_type_array parm: port_type_array:Array of port types: HW_DEFAULT (0) is default 1 for IB, 2 for Ethernet (array of int) cat /sys/module/mlx4_core/parameters/port_type_array 2,2...
  8. Robert Townley

Mellanox NICs

Good to hear :) I imagine your firmware was all updated first? Do you have many different brands of optical modules? Arista? Intel?
  9. Robert Townley

Mellanox NICs

Just spent way too many hours trying to find Mellanox optical modules both SFP+ and QSFP+ because eBay basically said there were none. I would very much appreciate what modules are known to work with Mellanox. Does Mellanox block other brands in firmware? Do most other brands work?
  10. Robert Townley

qsfp+ switch seems too good to be true

Does your switch support and is it configured for RDMA?
  11. Robert Townley

Arista DCS-7050QX-32

Fodeesha, even if one found a compatible SFP+ module, the Arista would definitely not work with it at 2.5Gps or 5Gps? Hoping an Aquantia ( purchased by Marvell in 2019) based SFP+ would work some magic .... hoping! It is now a "Marvell AQS-107/CX" Sad, because MultiGigaBit can be traced...
  12. Robert Townley

Arista DCS-7050QX-32

That is opposite of my experience, but that is about 4 years ago.
  13. Robert Townley

Arista DCS-7050QX-32

Have not tried the firmware hacks. About four years back, FS.com specifically said Mellanox DACs would not work inside the Arista. They custom made DAC cables with Arista on one end and Mellannox on the other. When I get the ends mixed up, it does not work. When plugged-in correctly, they...
  14. Robert Townley

Arista bought Untangle

Arista makes some great stuff, but fear my gateway hardware jumps from $100 in price to $27,000?
  15. Robert Townley

2.5" 960GB PM963 Firmware

Have you tried both the 32bit and 64bit versions? Match what your operating system is running. Samsung_Magician_DC_Windows_32bit.exe