Recent content by psc

1. P

10 and 40 Gb networking on the cheap ($5 - $10)

I'm currently in the opposite situation; the cards I got (764285-B21, dual Connect-X 3 Pro) are picked up fine but refuse to connect to my switch with any of my cables; the driver reports either unsupported cable or unsupported module. I doubt that's a problem with the adapter, but when I have...
  2. P

ConnectX-3 card not detected in Asrock EPYCD8-2T

Discovered the NIC firmware was quite old; bumped it to latest and all is well.
  3. P

IP Controlled Rack PDU

Restoring lost content: Keep an eye out for a Raritan PX on eBay; they do both zero-U and 1U\2U units, seem solid and are well-priced in the UK\US.
  4. P

MAJOR EVENT - Please Read

Reading this, after your direct eMail, two things are immediately obvious: 1) You handled a very bad situation very well. Kudos for both being open about what happened and for the work you've put in to minimise disruption 2) You've found a serious gap in Xenforo capabilities, and they need to...
  5. P

Nope. HPE upgrade, so a retail version. It was open box from a reseller, though, and very badly packaged. I'm assuming if it was a physical problem with the mobo or soc it would affect my RAID card in the same slot, too; that might be optimistic, but I'm not sure why. Mobo BIOS is current.
  6. P

I picked up a nearly-new Epyc motherboard through the forums a few days ago, and for some reason it's not picking up my ConnectX-3 card at all (single port, 10GbE, I believe MCX311A-XCAT). I've tried multiple slots, and it's neither included in the IPMI inventory nor in lspci output, and there's...
  7. P

Uninterruptible Power Supply

I'd get a 1500+ VA, then; you want some margin for both power factor and fluctuation. Eaton quote 900W for the 1500VA, but that seems very cautious. If you can shut down 'immediately' then almost anything with sufficient power will do; most seem to aim for 5-10 min under load. 1500VA seemed to...
  8. P

Uninterruptible Power Supply

I've got an Eaton 5S 1500 under the desk and a 5PX 3000 for my rack (but can also be treated as a tower, I believe). Both play nice with nut and have been completely hassle-free; I'd use Eaton again. The 5S is silent until it takes over power, when the fan comes on. The 5PX has slow fans all...
  9. P

10 and 40 Gb networking on the cheap ($5 - $10)

Managed to get at least one adapter soldered up OK, and have a Connect-X 3 Pro showing up now. I think it's in IB-mode, but hopefully that's easy to fix. The boards were delivered without a chamfer on the PCIe connector, sadly, so I need to progress my complaint with JLC. I really wish I'd got...
  10. P

EU FS: 128GB (4 x 32GB) DDR4 RDIMM, ASRock EPYCD8-2T & Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 (UK) - All sold

Very tempting... You can't have held onto that for long; how come?
  11. P

arc-1880ix-12 Installing drivers hangs system?

On the bracket, there will be a square connector for the external lanes and an ethernet connector (plus possibly another, 'console' port). Conect the ethernet port into your switch and it'll pick up an IP via DHCP. Find out what address its got however you'd normally do that (router interface...
  12. P

Doesn't the out-of-band admin UI work regardless? I'm sure I've got into mine before the motherboard has actually finish initialising. If it was freezing when trying to update firmware as well that doesn't sound great. I'd really try to find a way to get into the web UI and look at the card logs.
  13. P

Does it hook into the BIOS OK at boot time? Any difference with\without drives attached? Is there anything in the card logs if you go in through the OOB webserver?
  14. P

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I've got a 6610 which is not stacked, and I've removed the stack commands from the config. However, with brocade-branded 40G optics plugged in, and after running 'optical-monitor', if I try to look at them I get: icx6610(config)#show optic 1/2/1 port 1/2/1 is a stacking port and not capable...
  15. P

Recycling the heat from server room

I think to be effective, you'd want an air\water heat pump (effectively a water-cooled air con unit). Otherwise the room temperature would need to be quite high before you'd get a meaningful heat flow into "room-temperature" water. The only calculations I can find for a car radiator do look...