Recent content by Poleronburst

1. P

Supermicro H12DSi-NT6 VS Gigabyte MZ72-HB0 rev. 3.0

Thought I'd post a short update, I've just received the MZ72-HB0 rev 4.0 (didn't know there was a 4.0, assumed the latest was the 3.0) and my first impression is that the packaging could be better. I'm not talking about the lack of a fancy colored box (this one was just plain brown) but the lack...
  2. P

Great thanks! Saves me a potential headache... Registered ECC Dual or quad rank it is then
  3. P

Great thanks! Makes sense, unfortunately on a small bord like this (1 slot per channel) it would mean that it would be best to install all memory at once making it financially a bit more challenging in order to avoid replacing Sims. I assume registered ecc vs regular ecc would only be...
  4. P

I ordered the Gigabyte and will see how it goes, can always switch to the Supermicro, this build will probably break the bank anyways Something else that I'm wondering about, these boards have 8 ram slots per cpu and epyc 7003 cpus have 8 memory channels of 1 or 2 dimms per channel so for the...
  5. P

Great! thank you for your post, very usefull! I'm kind of nudging towards the Gigabyte at the moment (not 100% sure why) just wondering about the difference in BMC chip. the AST2600 on the SMC seems like a big upgrade when compared to the AST2500 on the Gigabyte...
  6. P

You are right for the H12DSi I can only find the OOB license for IPMI Bios updates so ill update the matrix Feature Gigabyte MZ72-HB0 rev. 3.0 Supermicro H12DSi-NT6 BMC AST2500 AST6000 PCIe 4.0 3x16 2x8 3x16 3x8 I/O 2 NVMe Gen4 x4 SlimSAS Ports 3 SlimSAS Ports NVMe Gen4 x4 or 4x SATA 4...
  7. P

Thanks for clearing this up, its probably safe to assume this also holds for the H12DSi, iKVM does (probably) not require an additional license?
  8. P

Hmm I'm starting to doubt my own statement on this, for the IPMI bios part it's just a general remark in the review of the Gigabyte https://www.servethehome.com/gigabyte-mz72-hb0-review-dual-amd-epyc-motherboard-with-10gbe/2/ And I do remember having to buy a license for my current supermicro...
  9. P

Some of the features like KVM (and I think over the air bios updates) require an extra license for Supermicro, the Gigabyte doesn't have this requirement. I've added this to the table
  10. P

Ah yes I suppose that's more of an personal opinion on the management interface "look and feel" when looking at the review and comparing that to one of my current supermicros.
  11. P

So based on replies and what can be found online I would end up with something like: Feature Gigabyte MZ72-HB0 rev. 3.0 Supermicro H12DSi-NT6 BMC AST2500 AST6000 PCIe 4.0 3x16 2x8 3x16 3x8 I/O 2 NVMe Gen4 x4 SlimSAS Ports 3 SlimSAS Ports NVMe Gen4 x4 or 4x SATA 4 PCI-E 4.0 NVMe x4...
  12. P

EPYC Milan on Supermicro H11 board?

Just curious, did someone actually manage to purchase the H12DSi, asking because I cant seem to find a review about this bord. (and how about the Gigabyte MZ72-HB0? I'm trying to decide between the Supermicro and the Gigabyte they both look pretty good, the supermicro has the new AST2600 vs the...
  13. P

Sounds resonable, the case I'm using is a 4U server case, the CPU's will be watercooled with an external radiator and the standard high speed fans will be replaced with 120mm noctua fans, so I might have to design some kind of custom shroud in order to keep the VRM's cool enough I won't be using...
  14. P

Great point, seems that the Gigabyte allows for some more I/O flexibility then.
  15. P

Hi, thanks for your post! The case I'm planning on using has (24 disks) a 12GB SAS (SATA compatible) backplane SAS Expander so I think I would need to invest in an additional controller.