Recent content by peter_s

1. P

Supermicro X9/X10/X11 Fan Speed Control

Have you tried to set FAN thresholds or reset BMC?
  2. P

An interesting new experience related to AST2600 BMC chip and X13SAE-F motherboard from an smfc user can be found here. The point is the fan control methods described here are working on AST2600. It has FULL MODE as well, and fan levels can be controlled properly. The naming of the fans and the...
  3. P

This is a AST2600 BMC chip, right?
  4. P

If you were interested smfc v3.4.0 got full docker support, and of course the docker image can be pulled from docker hub.
  5. P

True. Based on this my NF-F12 PRM (300-1500 RPM) is fluctuating on minimal 240 - 360 RPM interval. I think also a stable power will be needed from the motherboard. Splitters and Low Noise adapters could also change the minimum speed.
  6. P

Have you tried this? https://gist.github.com/ikus060/26a33ce1e82092b4d2dbdf18c3610fde
  7. P

I rewrote chapter 7 in smfc documentation to provide more insights for this topic. I also added a new picture: for the better understanding.
  8. P

The safe interval here is rather 400-2300 rpm. Unfortunately the rotation speed of the fans is not stable, there is a small variance. Please check the specification of your fans and setup threshold based on that. For example if your fan has minimum 300 rpm rotation speed I would use 0, 100, 200...
  9. P

smfc uses IPMI FULL mode. Here you can setup the fan speed freely while fans are inside the threshold limits.
  10. P

Hi, have you checked/configured the threshold values for the fans? Read more about this here. If the threshold values are correct (fan rotation speed is always between LOWER and UPPER limits) then the OPTIMAL fan mode should be able to control the fans dynamically in a quite way. Also my...
  11. P

1. Reaching of the lower thresholds will generate different assertions at BMC web interface "Server Health > Health Event Log". These thresholds should be lower than the minimal physical rotation speed of your fan. In case of assertion the BMC will try to change fan speed. Read more about this...
  12. P

Setting up IPMI fan control mode, or fan thresholds are persistent configurations. If you configured once they will stay while the BMC is not reset. If you want to have a dynamic fan speed control based on temperature then use can use a script (it must be executed locally, and be running...
  13. P

Those scripts were created for local execution indeed, but you can hack ESXi with ipmitool remote access if you really want to. You may also google any existing solution for ESXi: ipmitool 1.8.11 vib for ESXi Fan Control for Dell Server in ESXI
  14. P

You may use ipmitool remotely since IPMI/BMC is an independent subsystem. You can configure things from a different Windows or Linux PC. You need the IP address for the BMC interface and ADMIN credentials.
  15. P

You may read the very first post in this thread for better understanding. In the user manual (on page 13) there is also a reference on this: FAN1 ~ FAN4 FANA, FANB CPU/System Fan Headers