Recent content by PerryCS

1. P

Strange MDADM RAID 6 behaviour

It's true it's a myth that it's required... BUT, the reasons I remember for people mentioning it should be mandatory are... IF there is memory corruption due to a bad dimm or some other system problem... I thought I remembered many prominent youtube channels mentioning that corruption in memory...
  2. P

Final update. Been using the updated system for 26 days now since my last post and about a month since I did the upgrade. Everything is running super smoothly. Speeds are way up, no more pausing. So, now that I have hammered the daylights out of this system for a month now and not 1...
  3. P

Seems my problem has been solved. Done about 40 copies from assorted machines, from Windows to Server, from Server to Server, and not 1 slowdown (except too many writes/copies at once and it briefly dipped to 0 but came back up pretty much right away which makes sense for mechanical drives...
  4. P

Wow, the new speeds are incredible... hitting 6.3GB/sec peak, averaging 6.0 to 6.2GB/sec - that's a massive upgrade in speed from my previous max speed of 4.7GB/sec... also, that's while playing Plex. I am so happy to have stumbled onto this thread - it would have been years before I pushed...
  5. P

OK, just finished the upgrade to 22.04 and the versions did change quite a bit... uname -a and mdadm -V give me the following... Linux plextbserver 5.15.0-46-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 4 18:03:25 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux mdadm - v4.2 - 2021-12-30 So, I'll update here as time...
  6. P

Just updated to 20.04 LTS - things don't seem to have changed much version wise... will see if everything works fine and then go up to v22. Maybe I have to do something else than update the whole OS... uname -a and mdadm -V yield very similar results.. Linux plextbserver 5.4.0-125-generic...
  7. P

Thank you for the comments. I might try Arch when I get my Threadripper/Epyc server running one day. I can't reinstall everything just now - lack of money, time, and hardware. BUT, in the future I will give that a try. Never heard of Arch Linux but will look it up. I'm quite familiar with...
  8. P

I ran uname -a and I get this... Linux plextbserver 5.4.0-124-generic #140~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 5 11:43:34 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux... The OP's version was 5.13.0-25. So, I can't wait to upgrade. :) and mdadm -V mdadm - v4.1-rc1 - 2018-03-22 I am still an...
  9. P

Created an account to mention... I have the exact same problem with different equipment. I am running a 480TB array on an Amd 2700x Asus Prime X470 with 32GB 2666Mhz (non ecc). Running Ubuntu 18.04LTS. I have 2 large arrays. I also have Thunar File Manager installed. I am using a LSI SAS...