Recent content by PedanticAvenger

1. P

Looking to cool a Supermicro X12SDV-14C-SPT8F in a 2U case.

Thanks for resetting me. Don't want to get someone else caught on this. I have a LSI card I was going to use (just to use up some parts) but got distracted by the MiniSAS and forgot it was just a connector spec not a signalling spec. Well I can play with breaking it out later for something...
  2. P

16 SAS/SATA across the two MiniSAS (or NVME, options...), plus oculink, plus 2 onboard SATA ports plus on-MB NVME. Either way all the systems I can find (pre-built, not OEM) which they put this board in have like 2 drive bays. Clearly they want other people to build systems with this board.
  3. P

Nice. I do something similar. I print out some cross sectional slices a couple layers thick in solid and use it to judge fit and how things will look. Using silhouettes like this has often saved a lot of time and allowed me quick visualizations of stuff that won't work before I go whole hog...
  4. P

I mock things up with construction paper and tape just to check gross clearances then I model it up for 3d printing. Might have been faster at this point if I modeled the entire chassis with MB in it and just built it from there but I like working with my hands and tools once and a while. ;)
  5. P

Correct, which is why I wanted as much space between the fan and the top of the heatsink to have a pressure normalizing plenum style space to push air more evenly into the cooler. I can reduce that to between 5 and 7.5mm and then the original delta fan suggestion should fit without undue...
  6. P

I'm mocking up the 40x28 option currently in fusion to see how it might look. Might be able to make that work with horizontal airflow with a switchback plenum design. SMicro optimized the ever living hell out of this MB for reasons I don't really understand. It's only available in 1U chassis...
  7. P

This board/case combo unfortunately won't give me space to do that. too many things in the way for it to fit
  8. P

Yeah, I was kind of hoping I could avoid that path but I may just check clearances and built that. Then I can open up some rather ridiculous realms of airflow.
  9. P

Replacing the heatsink is also a viable option if one can be found with a matching mounting screw layout. I've struck out there so far.
  10. P

Quiet was pretty much immediately discarded from consideration. ;) My rack is out in my garage so I'm not bothered by noise. Is the ~10mm of clearance above the fan likely to be sufficient to not restrict airflow? I guess it will be inflowing from all sides.....
  11. P

So I got this board via a bailiff auction and want to use it for a combined homelab/NAS application. I have a 2U case and I am having huge challenges keeping the CPU cool (still working on building a new duct and improving case fans for more static pressure) but I would also like to pursue a...
  12. P

Qotom Denverton fanless system with 4 SFP+

Buy enough and everyone is willing to accomodate. Is the ~30 seconds before the system POSTs normal for these units? I nearly threw out some RAM cause I thought it was bad, but no system just took forever before it would beep and present BIOS.
  13. P

Qotom Denverton fanless system with 4 SFP+

JUST after I received my units. Doesn't it figure..... I hope someone offers the rackmount chassis sans MB so I can just move over. That is a much better form factor for me.