Recent content by PaulMD

1. P

EXPIRED 1.5TB Intel P4800X U.2 $400

optane also has rather pathetic power-off data retention even by SSD standards, it's not a problem for server use at all but I've wondered what would happen with consumers who pull a drive and leave it on a shelf for a year or two. That might well show up as bad blocks too.
  2. P

Newegg: AsRock Rack ROMED8U-2T Micro-ATX Server Motherboard AMD SP3 (LGA4094) EPYC 7003 and 7002 Series Dual 10GbE

any SP3 coolers in the 40-50mm height range that aren't going to be atrocious? seems to be primarily dynatron stuff and I'd assume that's loud, and that's probably the tradeoff of moving 200W+ in a SFF chassis.
  3. P

Supermicro X10DRI-T4+ w/ Heatsinks & I/0 Shield $140

x10drc controller has cache, it's defacto unusable for modern checksumming fs etc
  4. P

Seeed Studio reServer base model i3 1125G4 $349

ugh, missed it and I don't want it $550 badly. Kinda hoping with the recent stuff Wendell has been talking about with it that it would go on sale again.
  5. P

ES Xeon Discussion

I picked up a Gigabyte GA-X99-SLI for free and was looking to put a Xeon ES on it. Here's the support list. This rig is mostly going to be doing video encoding so my goal is to maximize multi-threaded performance (lots of cores). I'd like to keep this as cheap as possible with a worthwhile...