Recent content by Paul A. Mitchell

1. P

NVMe: 2.5" SFF drives working in a normal desktop

Eight NVMe M2 SSDs in RAID on X399 Threadripper Reach 28 GB/s Two ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 cards combined with eight Samsung 960 PRO/EVO SSD show IOmeter transfer speeds in a excess of .... 28375.84 MB/s. That's the funky thing about Threadripper RAID, the platform has so many PCIe Express lanes that...
  2. P

Highpoint bootable SSD7110 driver works on SSD7101

A related idea occurred to us recently, after seeing the VROC "dongle". There may be a way for Microsoft to modify future Windows OS to boot from an OS "software RAID" e.g. by permitting the STARTUP files to be pre-loaded on a USB thumb drive. If this were done in a generic way, it would...
  3. P

Highpoint bootable SSD7110 driver works on SSD7101

See: Dual M.2 PCIe x8 Card? - Page 8
  4. P

NVMe: 2.5" SFF drives working in a normal desktop

ASUS X299 Enables Intel Virtual RAID on CPU - RAID-0 up to 20 SSDs! | PC Perspective
  5. P

PCIe NVMe HBA FYI

> the default config for that card is to treat the PCIex16 as 4x4. > It likely has to do with both PCIe lane allocation and bifurcation support in the bios That makes total sense: with a variety of different jumper settings, there will need to be logic at the other end of those circuits to...
  6. P

Cheap NVMe performance from HP - 9,000MB/s for $900 or so?

ASUS X299 Enables Intel Virtual RAID on CPU - RAID-0 up to 20 SSDs! | PC Perspective
  7. P

PCIe NVMe HBA FYI

Dear "Friends": p.s. I would already have a much more modern workstation, if rogue federal agents had not retaliated at me for whistleblowing. We deploy RAID-0 as a cheap way of "wear leveling" and it has worked out extremely well for my needs. And, the (aging) workstation that I do have...
  8. P

PCIe NVMe HBA FYI

> Simply put, I expect it to take a two socket if not a four socket system to consume the IO of 8 nvme in raid 1 (really, who uses raid 0). I'm truly looking forward to reading how your 8 x Syba caddies work out for your needs. Plus, by choosing Intel you can expect proper technical support...
  9. P

PCIe NVMe HBA FYI

> How many cores does it take to consume the IO that such a system could generate? Wow, that's a really good, and really challenging, question :) I am certainly not expert enough to provide the last word here. A very rough answer to that question goes like this: If we view a single 64-bit...
  10. P

PCIe NVMe HBA FYI

> What is the use case? I realize that a lot of data centers will almost automatically recommend a "cloud" solution for the following; however, sometimes a data set really does warrant absolute privacy, particularly when we are talking about confidential information e.g. proprietary R&D...
  11. P

PCIe NVMe HBA FYI

Concept Product - CP021 Discussions Concept Product - CP021 Discussions - OEM / Concept Products - ICY DOCK Forums IcyDock's reply, August 1, 2016: Thanks for the input. We do hear many voices asking us to make a 4x NVME SSD cage in a 5.25" bay. However, since the market is still new and a...
  12. P

PCIe NVMe HBA FYI

"Mommy, can Daddy install this in my laptop before I go to school today?" Supermicro SuperStorage Server 6048R-E1CR90L - 90x SATA/SAS - LSI 3008 12G SAS - Quad 10-Gigabit SFP+ - 1000W Redundant
  13. P

PCIe NVMe HBA FYI

IcyDock are half-way there with this "Concept Product" (not yet being manufactured): CP021_BY TYPE - WITH HDD TRAY_CONCEPT PRODUCTS_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable...
  14. P

PCIe NVMe HBA FYI

Yes, that's the whole idea. BUT, you are saying that as someone who already has all of the necessary hardware in hand. My own objective is to encourage industry players particularly Intel, to realize that PC / workstation-class prosumers do NOT have the time, space or money to invest in large...
  15. P

PCIe NVMe HBA FYI

EXACTLY! Just go back to your SM chipset diagram above and witness all of the different low-speed devices that are served by the PCH e.g. SATA / USB 2.0 / USB 3.0 / PCI-E X1 / PCIE-X4 . ALL OF THE LATTER ARE FED BY THE PCH AND THE PCH IS FED BY A SINGLE DMI 3.0 LINK. So, arguendo, if you...