Recent content by nrtc

1. N

[CN] Seeed studio reServer 4C/8T for $274.50

Thanks for sharing your experience, this seems to indicate that it may just be my cable. I've tried various things, both software wise and keeping the cable+ssd out of the top of the case to limit electromagnetic interference. The hangs do not seem to depend on usage either, it has also happened...
  2. N

Unfortunately the power supply only resolved part of the problem: with 90W the system always boots without problem, but the system still regular hangs. I'm fairly certain that it is the ADT R24SF extender cable, because without it the system has been running stable for nearly 3 weeks now. I'm...
  3. N

Thanks for your reply! My SSD is PCIe 3.0 and I am booting from a ZFS mirror, so in theory it should be fine. I'm starting to doubt the cable is the problem though: just the other day I noticed that when the system fails to boot the power draw peaks at around 80W (due to the simultaneous spin...
  4. N

Does anybody else have problems with the ADT-Link R24SF cable? I installed a 15cm one (looping back over the motherboard, cut a drive tray to make space) and I am having stability issues. After several days the system locks up and I have to hard reset it. When this happens, the system no longer...
  5. N

Cool, thanks for sharing. Do you think the 10cm version would've been long enough as well? Also, please let us know how well it works temperature-wise.
  6. N

Thanks for this info! The post describes my situation exactly: it sounds more like a faulty bearing rather than a fan under high load. I guess I just got a lemon, but nothing a noctua won't fix. The system fan in my case is an AVC "DS09225R12M" 92x92x25 4 pin 0.3A model. It has a smaller pitch...
  7. N

I think this might work, there seems to be enough space between the motherboard and the drive sled. You could also loop over the motherboard and hang the SSD on the back of the motherboard (the CPU side), where there is even more space and no moving sled to mess things up. I believe Upgrading...
  8. N

Mine also arrived this morning in Europe. So far I'm quite pleased with the build quality, although I find it a bit more noisy than I would've liked. Might just be a case of tightening the fan though. Add to this the WD SN520, which still seems to be available on Ebay. Unfortunately only up to...
  9. N

DeepLearning12 NVLink

Does mlperf support multi-gpu benchmarking? It'd be interesting to see how much NVLink helps in scaling up learning. TensorFlow's benchmarks are actually quite straightforward and quick to run, although image-classification centric. A vendor in Europe. (pm sent)
  10. N

DeepLearning12 NVLink

Our supplier didn't want to deliver the SYS-4028GR-TRT2 with 10x GPU, since they said it was not a configuration supported by SM. In any case, I'm looking forward to DeepLearning12 and performance of the V100's. What DL frameworks and benchmarks do you intend to run?
  11. N

Quanta 2ML Render Farm - rack, 10 dual e5-2670 and 10Gb switch $3850

The motherboard has 2 USB2 ports on the back and (as far as I can see) no additional headers on the motherboard. I believe the chipset should have 2 SATA3 ports, but I haven't got the drives to verify all the ports quickly. If you know a linux command to list all ports and their speed I'd be...
  12. N

Thanks a lot for your detailed experience. I'm really close to ordering 2 ML systems purely for compute and maybe just an SSD or two for local storage. It seems to fit that bill well with excellent price/performance. If I'm not asking too much, would you perhaps know if the ML2 can be set to...
  13. N

Please do share your experience with the 2ML and Chenbro/foxconn (presumably the T2491601 on their website). I'd be interested to buy one or two of them purely for cheap compute and would like to know if the Intel system is worth the extra bucks.
  14. N

Google Tensorflow ASIC and its impact

I think the TPU isn't as revolutionary as it may seem, since a large chunk of the performance increase is due to computing with 8 bit integers rather than 32 or 64 bit floating points. That alone will give you at minimum a 4x speedup. Nvidia's Pascal also moves in this direction with support for...
  15. N

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Yes, I saw that, but Amazon's price seems rather inflated given the EU prices. Since Provantage has it in the states for $485, I figured "under $500" would be a decent ballpark figure (since it seems new, the prices are likely to go down).