Recent content by NickKX

1. N

Fan control on HP z2 Mini G9

Anyone familiar with Home - Fan Control ? wondering if there is any way to make it work on an HP Z series It finds the video card fan but not the main system cpu heatsink fan :(
  2. N

A cost-effective Intel W680 ECC server: repurposing an HP Z2 G9 motherboard

Here’s the official RAM specs for the Z2 G9’s No mention of 14th gen, however they were just updated to support these CPUs a couple months ago...
  3. N

A cost-effective Intel W680 ECC server: repurposing an HP Z2 G9 motherboard

I’ve got a similar problem, with the z2 mini g9 (same chipset), but that system only has two SO DIMM ram slots Using this ram: Micron 32GB DDR5-5600 ECC SODIMM 2Rx8 CL46 | MTC20C2085S1TC56BR | Crucial.com.. With 12500, memory ran at 4800 (expected) Upgraded to 14th Gen 14700k, and now runs at...
  4. N

HP Z2 mini G9 - upgrade CPU to Raptor Lake, getting PCA not fully compatible warning

So I’ve had a chance to play more with the 14700k. In Intel XTU, everything is disabled. You can’t undervolt, voltage control is entirely locked out. XTU says overclocking not available on this platform. I don’t see any option to enable XMP or anything else overclocking related in the BIOS...
  5. N

HP Z2 mini G9 - upgrade CPU to Raptor Lake, getting PCA not fully compatible warning

HP’s user forum is so bad. It’s 90% HP simps / people offering little help. I got the replacement heatsink, I put both my old 65w one and the new 125w copper one on eBay. If anyone wants either of them lmk. $45 shipped for the alum and $75 shipped for the copper, in USA. HP Parts...
  6. N

EU FS: PNY RTX 4000 ADA SFF | PNY RTX 5000 ADA | 32GB RAM 2933 | Supermicro Backplane

It's a "workstation" card and it doesn't support actual workstation features? Scumbag Jensen...
  7. N

Some excellent news…no issues with the 14700K upgrade. Received it today and popped it in and it just works. Just to be clear my computer came with a 12500. There is no nag message at POST, nothing. Windows won’t boot, but that’s another problem. Ubuntu boots just fine. Oddly enough, it...
  8. N

“TDP” is just a misleading marketing spec. The specific voltage controls, multipliers, and turbo boost clocks are what are actually locked. With the k you have varying degrees of control over all those values via a ton of settings either in bios or Intel’s XTU software (or combination). You...
  9. N

It’s not that difficult… It’s basically just a few dials. And you can turn the K into a non K, and make it behave the same, if you want. Can’t do the opposite, though.
  10. N

Every CPU thermal throttles in the Z2 Mini g9 chassis. Even the non-k. I was just running Prime95 yesterday on my i5-12500. Throttled after 15 minutes. TBH though, I'm just testing to see if 14th gen upgrade will even work. But I'd probably get the 14700k anyway. It's around the same price...
  11. N

Some updates, the copper heatsink is insane. Temps are down across the board and most of the time the fan isn’t even running — even when I’ve got benchmarks cranking. I’m shocked. I also scraped off the pre applied paste and went with arctic mx-6 so maybe that has something to do with it too...
  12. N

There’s some weird stuff going on right now with video cards and pre built / OEM systems…seems like they are going for deep discounts. Even with the regular size cards like the 4090s. Anyway, I got the heatsink today… quite a few of the fins are bent on one of the corners. I showed a photo of...
  13. N

You’d be way better off with an arm based streaming box, just my 0.02. I bought it from HP’s parts store. I’ve gotta order the GPU bracket next. $20 for a damned proprietary bracket! Which A2000 do you have currently? I’m bidding on one right now, I think I’ve given up on trying to get an...
  14. N

The newer CPUs also support 5600Mhz memory clock. I haven’t benchmarked yet but I think it’s worth the upgrade given how cheap they are, at least for me since I’ve got a 12500. I haven’t decided whether or not to get a K or not. I am thinking 14700K though if I can get a good deal. How hot...
  15. N

After testing for a couple days, I can confirm that they are the same RPM…and also modern bios for the z2 mini g9 support fan control settings, however the older ones did not