Recent content by networkguy

1. N

2024 pfSense Builds

Of course - but I quite like the granular control of having subnets for specific use cases/requirements etc. I don't have a problem with the inter-vlan performance with this device, I only have a 2.5Gbe NIC in my Laptop but I can saturate 2.5Gbe between VLAN's without any issue. My long-term...
  2. N

2024 pfSense Builds

I don't have a 2.5Gbe WAN yet, but my Firewall does operate inter-vlan routing - I can saturate 2.5Gbe from my Laptop to my server's on my server VLAN without it breaking sweat.
  3. N

2024 pfSense Builds

I have used both Unifi and pfSense, I do use Unifi for my AP's but I personally wouldn't move my entire stack to Unifi as it simply doesn't provide the same level of flexibility and granularity. You can do ANYTHING network wise with pfSense - ospf/bgp/VTI IPSEC to Azure, Wireguard tunnels...
  4. N

Cheap Interesting Chinese 4x2.5g, 2x10G switch, (but also problems with DACs)

Does anyone have any experience of changing the management VLAN on these switches? Whilst you can set the IP of the switch into the subnet you desire, the switch is not accessible unless you are plugged into a port in VLAN1. I don't really want VLAN 1 hanging around, but I can't see any other...
  5. N

2024 pfSense Builds

I recently purchased one of these: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Q20331G9-4-10G-SFP-Ports-5_1600932130700.html?spm=a2700.shop_plser.41413.2.7ad128b37BlBRx Maybe a little overkill, but it a great bit of kit. I've installed pfsense on mine, I have a 10Gbe link to my LAN, 10Gbe into my...
  6. N

New Managed LAN Switch Required - any recommendations?

I did find this one - full 10Gbe, only 12 ports so slightly down on the 16 I was after....but could be an option. Cisco 12-port 10g Stackable Managed Switch | Techbuyer This is the Model range - Cisco 350X Series Stackable Managed Switches Data Sheet - Cisco They do 24 ports or 48 ports...
  7. N

I've considered the same, and I've also considered maybe going down the route of having majority 1Gbe, with some 2.5Gbe/10Gbe. Zyxel 1210-12 and the 1250-12 look decent options for that, but just not full 2.5Gbe. The MokerLink one looks good though, good price point as well - will keep an eye...
  8. N

That's an interesting find, thanks for sharing that. Let us know how you get on with it.
  9. N

Hi Guys, I'm looking for some general advise/opinions/recommendations on a new managed Switch for my home network. I've had a good look around on Ali Express, Ebay etc for some options - but I'm finding it hard to get the exact specs of what I require, so I'm wondering if anyone can help point...