Recent content by Nemesis_001

1. N

Esxi free is dead. Alternative?

Thanks for all the feedback. I suppose the ground isn't burning, and existing esxi still runs fine and will continue to do so for years. But I suppose it's time to start messing around with some of the other solutions mentioned. Going to need another piece of hardware for that.
  2. N

Esxi free is dead. Alternative?

What are you guys going to be using for aio?
  3. N

What's hammering my pool?

Yeah. The thing is really robust though. I really abused it, trying to firstly disconnect and replace, LOG, HBA, motherboard before determining it's the CPU. Plus, for some reason the SLOG/L2ARC VMDKs became unreadable all of the sudden. Then after the new CPU arrived, spinner array wouldnt come...
  4. N

Well, disk died as well. But not the one that was busy, the one with the pending sector count. Rip.
  5. N

Meanwhile, coincidentally, my CPU has died at that time. PCI Express defective. Wonder if that could have caused the issue to begin with.
  6. N

Weird, now it's back to normal, disks idling. Running a copy from the pool (read) all disks seem to be similarly busy more or less saturating the 1gbit link. Testing writes at 1gbit seems similar as well. Looking at the job log again more carefully, something seems strange. Nov 5th scrub...
  7. N

Thanks. I'll have a look at that disk when I get home. Scrub usually starts Sat evening, but it was already complete.
  8. N

Something has been has been hammering the pool today with io for a few hours. Can't seem to determine what it is. I ran iotop script, supposedly pid 261 is the culprit. But that pid is the pool itself? Confused. Anyone has any idea? Thanks
  9. N

SMB Becomes inaccessible after a few weeks of uptime

Hi, I have an AIO which runs OmniOS r151544, on ESXI 8. I'm having an issue where after a while SMB becomes inaccessible until a reboot is performed. This is what I see in the console. I have recently upgraded the server hardware if it has any relevance. The issue never happend before. Does...
  10. N

Move data from iscsi lun to vmdk on nfs volume

Really hard to say. Most devices on the network work properly as they announce their desired hostname to the dhcp server, Macs, Windows and Androids. The default Rocky Linux setup as well. The only two devices I care about that don't are the esxi host and ominos. Either way, doesn't matter that...
  11. N

Eventually I retired the OS that was on the iscsi entirely and re-created a linux os with a containerized approach on a nfs datastore. So that's that I suppose. Another annoyance I've been dealing with is that Solaris isn't sending a hostname to the dhcp server. Setting a hostname manually...
  12. N

Got it, thanks. Would placing the vm files on a dataset with sync enabled, and the vmdk itself on a dataset with sync disabled alleviate some of the risks?
  13. N

Thanks gea. So I suppose NFS is still sync writes only, and the only recourse would be to just disable sync entirely. Using iscsi with sync set to standard, would normal io operations be without sync, and db operations in the guest os for example require sync operations? Also, I'm still not...
  14. N

NVME passthrough on ASROCK B550D4U ESXI

Well, that failed. I also tried placing a 4 x NVME card on the PCI-E x16 - that works fine with passthrough. However, the LSI 9210 HBA would not work at all on the PCI-E x4 slot on the motherboard. ESXI would not detect it as a valid adapter although the it shows up on lspci. Ended up...
  15. N

Thanks. When I created this many years ago, I think almost a decade, I got significantly better performance from iscsi compared to nfs, both with sync disabled. I think nfs was especially horrible in esxi since from what I remember at the time all writes are sync when working with esxi. Has...