Recent content by MuscleLazy

1. MuscleLazy

Latest firmware for HGST Helium drives?

Thank you @schlagbaum, now all I have to do is find the A4GL0003 firmware.
  2. MuscleLazy

@napalm_atx I’ll look into it this weekend and report back my findings. Hugo tells me the current version, should I rely on it? # hugo show Manuf. Model Serial Interface Capacity Type Firmware...
  3. MuscleLazy

@napalm_atx So if my drives firmware is A4GL0003, I assume I can safely flash the A4GNVD05 firmware available now at HDDGuru, for my HUH728080ALE601 model?
  4. MuscleLazy

Format SSD to 4Kn with Samsung DC Toolkit 2.1 for Linux?

Thank you for the useful information, I did not know about it.
  5. MuscleLazy

It does not, same 512e support only. As a side note, DCToolkit has a nice feature showing you how my data was written to each disk, so you know what's left for the disk endurance: # ./DCToolkit --list...
  6. MuscleLazy

I have the GXT32F3Q installed, I'll check if I can get it extracted and share it. I don't think there is an easy tool to extract the firmware, openSeaChest has one but is designed only for Seagate disks.
  7. MuscleLazy

I need these drives to 4Kn because they will be used to create a ZFS mirror pool, which by default creates it with a ashift=12 for AF 4096-byte logical sectors hard drives. With 512-byte sectors, the hard drive must perform extra mechanical steps in the form of reading a 4K sector, modifying the...
  8. MuscleLazy

Yep, DCToolkit complains about a specific firmware format, it would not take the .bin. I'm on HXT7A04Q now: # hdparm --fwdownload ./pm883/HXT7A04Q_NF.bin --please-destroy-my-drive --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing /dev/sda # reboot # hdparm --user-master u --security-set-pass 1 /dev/sda # hdparm -I...
  9. MuscleLazy

Thanks @pimposh, what is the NF indicator into HXT7A04Q_NF.bin, new firmware? I would've never known that is the last firmware, unless @DarkServant mentioned it earlier. What is the correct way to determine the latest firmware version? Looks like letters have precedence. @DarkServant, I see...
  10. MuscleLazy

@pimposh i just don’t want to write the wrong firmware on the disk. The way I figured, the only place indicated I deal with a pm883a disk is on the actual disk sticker?
  11. MuscleLazy

@DarkServant thanks a lot for that link I’ll try to update the firmware tonight. How to I know the difference between pm883 and pm883a on my disk? On the disk label would be written pm883a, I presume, mines is written pm883.
  12. MuscleLazy

From my understanding, newer firmware adds performance enhancements and fixes. My disks are 601s not 604s.
  13. MuscleLazy

@CyklonDX the problem is my PM883 firmware is either old or custom and it allows only 512e format: # hugo show -g /dev/sda Manuf. Model Serial Interface Capacity Type Firmware...
  14. MuscleLazy

@CyklonDX did you formatted the Pm883 to 4096 logical sectors? I think the firmware does now allows it, that’s why I was researching on it. Yea, I always use a small box running Debian, where I can directly connect the disks.
  15. MuscleLazy

From my experience, if sg_format does not work, SeaChest will not work also. That’s the first thing I tried.