Recent content by Moopere

1. M

Adaptec 72405 SH***S Itself after logging into windows

Even using manufacturers software isn't a guarantee imho of a 100% good disk. I've had weird fails even after extensive drive testing. Its a good start though. If the drives pass the manufacturers consumer testing software at least thats some sort of base to work from. After that, if you've...
  2. M

LSI 9300-8i only works in PCH PCI-E slot

I said this in a post above: > I've never seen a card not able to be seen in an otherwise working PCIe slot. But thats not right. As I said earlier in the thread I've seen this behaviour with PCIe v2 cards in PCIe v3 slots. The CPU slot is likely the highest revision PCIe with the...
  3. M

Its not widespread IME - I've never seen a card not able to be seen in an otherwise working PCIe slot. What I'm talking about is lack of OPROM support. This manifests as a HBA's inability to boot from a card that requires its own OPROM in order to boot. If you boot your system using other...
  4. M

Powering a Dell Optiplex Micro with 24v

My field tech rule of thumb for heat is: If you can't let the pad of your finger remain on a heatsink for 3 seconds then its probably more than 60 degrees C. Use your own judgement/metric if you can only touch it for 1-2 seconds. If you burn your finger immediately its probably 100 degrees or...
  5. M

I've heard this a lot .. its almost an urban legend, that some PCIe slots are designed to only be GPU slots ... despite hearing this for many years I've been exposed to I don't know how many hundreds of machines and have never yet bumped into one of these unicorns. What I _have_ seen though are...
  6. M

Adaptec 72405 SH***S Itself after logging into windows

Still sounds like the drives to me. What HDD's are you using? Weak bits will work sometimes and not others and will cause the drive to retry (100% utilization, 0MB/s transferred). Consumer drives will often try _really_ hard to recover weak or dead sectors ... enterprise drives are more...
  7. M

LSI RAID Controllers - PCIe2-6Gbps / Windows Server 2022

Actually I think there is a drive to push out of service these legacy PCIe Gen2 devices for some reason. Googling around it appears that Redhat has, or is about to, also retire support for the LSI PCIe gen 2 RAID cards - no incompatibility is being publicly referenced and its apparently not a...
  8. M

LSI RAID Controllers - PCIe2-6Gbps / Windows Server 2022

Thought I'd come back to this as I still haven't resolved anything. As per my OP, LSI 9260-8i trying to install Server 2022, the windows installer boots up and then gets stuck because it can't load an appropriate driver. I can't take any of my 9270cv-8i out of service at the moment so I...
  9. M

Dell R720 replacement SAS3008 card has SFF 8643 female and need SFF 8087 female to connect

Have a close look at the HBA connector. Its going to be female and look like this: The cable should be male and look like this: I don't have an R720 in front of me but this should be pretty standard. The main difficulty I've had in the past using generic SAS cables in Dell servers is...
  10. M

LSI HBA lists some drives where mainboard sata will list all the drives

Yeah I agree with @UhClem, something fishy here and it would be tempting to try the HBA in another motherboard.
  11. M

Mmm I don't know the board nor the card. Have had problems with 92xx cards which are PCIe v2 in v3 slots though. In these cases if I force PCIe to be gen2 then the card is always detected and works fine ... If you're seeing training errors perhaps change the PCIe 'auto' setting to a setting...
  12. M

Am I reading this right?

I've gone down this rabbit hole in the past :) I found it more condusive to real-world expectations if I concentrate on IOPS rather than interface speeds Plugging some numbers into my rough-n-ready spreadsheet: 25x SAS 15K 12G drives (using specs from : Seagate 2.5" 15E900) RAID0 IO Block...
  13. M

Powering a Dell Optiplex Micro with 24v

I would've thought that the 19.5v would be a nominal rating. These device PSU's, as with laptops, are meant to work across the globe with widely varying source voltages and source stability - at 24v we're nearly 20% above nominal, so probably pushing the friendship, but I'd give it a go without...
  14. M

Strange issue with Windows 10 and HGST Ultrastar DC HC510 | HUH721010ALN600 (0F27607) | 10TB 7200 RPM 4Kn

@CyklonDX: I looked up the part numbers provided and they are both SATA disks. The OP says that the 10TB disk can be seen by Win10 and read/write, so on face value all should be good. The fact that Disk Sentinel can't see the drive when its connected to an external enclosure makes me think its...
  15. M

Strange issue with Windows 10 and HGST Ultrastar DC HC510 | HUH721010ALN600 (0F27607) | 10TB 7200 RPM 4Kn

Win10 shouldn't have any problems with a 4Kn hdd. However, using it in a USB enclosure might introduce who-knows-what variables depending on the SATA->USB interface. Are you also connecting the disk to Windows server 2016 via the USB enclosure ... or directly into a backplane?