Recent content by Moonshine

1. M

Mystery CPU overheating and RAM speed Q (Supermicro X12SPL-LN4F)

Well for anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation, tonight I swapped things out. The Dynatron N6-DYN **barely** fit in my 3U Chenbro RM31616 -- we're talking a mm or two to spare. :oops: However swapping that in and replacing the two 80mm Noctua with a couple higher speed fans ended...
  2. M

Hopefully not... But honestly, if you have a better suggestion that's commercially available and fits a 3U case my Visa is ready! :) Supermicro had 3 active coolers for 4189, two are 4U one is 2U (which I considered, but felt something a little larger could do better). Other than that I...
  3. M

Thanks for the input guys! It sounds like my cooler choice (and exhaust fans) are more suspect than the fact it behaves differently in setup (and not booted in general). Still a little curious why it would load up so heavily with basically no activity, but no problem swapping the cooler out...
  4. M

Thanks! Feel stupid for overlooking that on the RAM, but that's settled. The fans are on 1,2,3...(not A,B) and there is good flow through (front to back). I'm still just puzzled on the CPU heat though. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine buying another cooler if it won't cool things under load...
  5. M

Hello, I've done quite a few sever builds over the years, but this is my first Supermicro and first Xeon 3rd gen. This is a new home NAS/App server build and I'm still at base level (no cards or drives added) so I've got: Supermicro X12SPL-LN4F (LGA-4189) Intel Xeon Silver 4310 (12 Core)...