Recent content by moonman

1. M

CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

I have the same unit I believe (looks the same inside), and have a little bit of that as well. But I put the case on and it's not audible (or I never paid attention). When you put the case on do you still hear it? There may also be an option in the BIOS for "spread spectrum" that may help. A...
  2. M

I thought the 32GB I put in this unit for just opnSense was overkill, but I just had one laying around. for 48GB and one would need a lot of containers, but then you'd run into a bottleneck with the CPU. I don't really get it either if ram stick was purposely bought for N100/N300 unit.
  3. M

I wouldn't say it's cheap. I found one for $230 CAD, which is a bit more than the unit itself (no ram, no ssd).
  4. M

I believe you are correct. I guess the assumption is that you will never max out 2 ports at the same time, but the assumption doesn't hold well as time goes on. They do the same with single lane PCIe 2nd gen cards with 2x 2.5Gbit/s ports (2 chips). It needs 600MB/s but single lane only provides...
  5. M

All temps are already within spec, it's far from overheating. NVMe drives are usually rated to 80C, CPU can go to 100C. If the heatsink/case is warm to the touch then it's doing its job - dissipating the heat. The only reason I would consider a fan is if you live in a hot climate and...
  6. M

What do you mean by bridging? Bridging several NICs into one interface in opnSense, bridging several NICs into one interface in proxmox or just using linux bridge to get a VM (opnsense in this case) to access a NIC.
  7. M

Are you using VirtIO ? or is proxmox emulating hardware for opnSense
  8. M

Nothing to worry about. NVMe drives have a built in mechanism to stay cooler than their max designed temperatures by throttling the speed. Usually it's around 80 C. 57 C is nothing.
  9. M

Replying to my own question: icg does support RSS. dmesg | grep vectors does show output after boot up (but gets buried behind a bunch of shaper messages). Following the guide here got it working for me Performance — OPNsense documentation
  10. M

Has anyone tried to enable Receive Side Scaling (RSS) for i226 controller? Intel says i226 supports RSS, however following the tutorial at [Tutorial/Call for Testing] Enabling Receive Side Scaling on OPNsense (same as the wiki) I get nothing for vectors dmesg | grep vectors i226 uses igc...
  11. M

Probably not significant enough for N100 cpu, but if you buy with a higher TDP cpu then it may be a bigger problem/difference.
  12. M

It's a bit more complicated in my setup, but essentially you only need to create 2 bridges. One is for physical interface where WAN comes in (and this bridge will be only used by opnsense). The second bridge is your LAN. If you have multiple ports like these little devices we are discussing...
  13. M

That's about 82 - 88% total usage right there in the screenshot. Install htop to have a more visual representation per core, but yeah your screenshot is not much different from what proxmox shows in the GUI.
  14. M

I have been running with virtio, albeit on a completely different box with i7-11900. The main benefit of passthrough is that i226 can be used with hardware offloads enabled (but with intrusion prevention it still needs to be disabled, but I don't use that). Main benefit of virtio, besides what...
  15. M

Thank you for the detailed response. You are probably right. I am in Canada hence why I picked *.ca website. I'll try the brands you suggested.