Recent content by monk

1. M

Hoping for Help- Supermicro 846 Won't Power On

Closing the loop- the vendor sent over a replacement chassis and motherboard. I swapped the CPU, RAM, etc over and everything is working as expected now. Basically I spent of ton of time trying to figure out what I was doing wrong and it was just a bad motherboard and potentially backplane...
  2. M

Just an update- the vendor agrees there is a hardware problem and is shipping me a new case and motherboard.
  3. M

Thanks all. I had to head out of town for work, but I did give the board a thorough once over before I left. This IC seems to have some burn damage. Based on a quick google it looks to be power regulation related. There also looks to be something partially broken off on the backplane.
  4. M

Fair question, but I haven't adjusted it. This was a pre-built, used system that was supposed to be pre-tested. Since it fired up the first time I plugged it in I am assuming the cabling is correct. I don't have a spare power supply on hand currently, but I did go out and grab a PSU tester...
  5. M

Alright, I removed all of drive sleds and no change. Regarding the click, the power button/switch seems to be a little clicky, but I do not hear any clicks inside the case.
  6. M

Thanks for the clarification. I'll check for the click sound. I do hear a click when I plug in each PSU. I'm assuming it has something to do with the power distribution system. Right now all of the drive bays are empty, but I'll pull them and see if anything changes.
  7. M

*I’ve been lurking here for a while and hoping to lean on some of the expertise I’ve been reading through. I recently decided to take the plunge from consumer hardware into the server realm to get the 13 spinning disks I have in a tower into a dedicated rack mount NAS/VM machine. After a lot...