Recent content by mjturner

1. M

R720xd nics

Yes, there's no reason why not - each port can be in a different VLAN. You can control this either at OS level or on the switch (the latter is preferable).
  2. M

New Router Suggestions (Multi-Gig/10 GbE)

Thanks for the feedback. I think pfSense can probably squeeze a bit more out of the hardware than OpenBSD as FreeBSD's pf implementation is multi-threaded (which is why it's still stuck at OpenBSD 4.5-style syntax due to the divergence), but I'm hoping the E3-1220v3 will still be good for a few...
  3. M

New Router Suggestions (Multi-Gig/10 GbE)

Following this thread with some interest. I'm currently using an OEM Dell R220 (Xeon E3-1220v3) with 4x1GigE interfaces (2xIntel 82571EB PCIe, 2xBroadcom BCM5720 onboard) running OpenBSD as my firewall/router and am expecting the installation of 1Gbps fibre in the next few weeks (initially 1Gbps...
  4. M

EU Supermicro 4 Node Server 2022TG 8x AMD Opteron 6275 16 Core CPU G34 @£199 Collection Only

Just spotted this one too, and it's not too far from me (half hour drive or so), but as others have said - too power hungry for my liking. Still, it would pretty much double my core count at home... ;)
  5. M

Silent J1900 PFSense box eBay (4x cores and 4x intel ethernet)

I'm not the OP, but I'm not sure if SuperMicro does have a J1900-baed board with IPMI. My X10SBA certainly doesn't have it (does have console redirect over serial though).
  6. M

WTB:8x16GB DDR3 ECC.

I'm also looking (well, for 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs), so have sent a PM :)
  7. M

$335 + Ship: Dell PowerEdge R710 Server Dual Xeon E5502 DC 1.86GHz 128GB

Ignoring hardware differences, one nice thing about the R710 is that it's surprisingly quiet for a 2U server. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. M

CSE-836TQ (Compellent variant)

Do all CT-040s come with Supermicro X8DTH motherboards? I've done a bit of digging online and couldn't find too much detail. Definitely a bargain for the chassis alone.
  9. M

Samsung PM863 480GB $129

@Patrick Excellent, thanks - I remember reading that around the time it was published but I didn't think to revisit it now that I'm looking to buy.
  10. M

Samsung PM863 480GB $129

Came across exactly that PM863 listing last night while pondering buying some second hand ~500GB enterprise SSDs for my "new" R710. In the past I've normally gone for new consumer grade products (eg, Samsung 840/850 Pros), but I'm thinking of going a different route for this build. What's the...