Recent content by mini-me01

1. M

Home networking advice

I've owned a couple 1810-24g v1's (J9450A) and they are very reliable, quiet and use little power (15-20w). These can be purchased for $150 on ebay. If there is ever a problem with the switch, HP will do an advanced replacement with no questions asked and free shipping. I tried the Zyxel once...
  2. M

HP and Netgear rackmount switches

Thanks I still can't believe Netgear does not allow warranty transfers on a 2 week old switch. The switch does work perfectly and I am sure that if the warranty becomes necessary I can open the support case and skirt their crazy rules
  3. M

Fire sale today on the XSM7224S: $1375 shipped I have someone interested through eBay at a higher price but wanted to offer it here also instead of paying eBay $100+
  4. M

Home networking advice

I used to do some home automation on the side for friends. One of the problems with the fiber bundled in the structured wire is the evolving standards like cat 5e vs. cat 6. Unless the bundled fiber is OM3 or higher, I don't see the benefit. The same argument could easily be made against...
  5. M

I never realized how vague Netgear is on warranty transfers. On HP gear a warranty is a warranty but Netgear approaches this differently...I have an email into their customer service, lets see what they say.
  6. M

I'm open to offers... What brand / model monitors?
  7. M

I'm asking $2000 for the XSM7224S. It was only used for a week and includes lifetime warranty with advanced replacement through August 2016.
  8. M

1GBE SFP+ to CAT6

Shameless plug here for the Netgear XSM7224S I have in the classifieds. Can use SFP, SFP+ or RJ45
  9. M

Home networking advice

I will add that if you have the space, run structured wiring cable (bundled 2 Cat 5e/6 and 2 RG6). If space is a premium, skip the two runs of RG6 and run extra Cat wire which can be used for lot more things like audio, IR, etc as dba pointed out.
  10. M

10-Gigabit Ethernet (10GbE) Networking - NICs, Switches, etc.

No, I did this with a supermicro box. You can't get 2 (PCIe x8) OCE10102 cards in an HP Microserver unless you cut down one of the Emulex cards or open up one of the PCI slots and in both cases you are going to severely limit the bandwidth to the card.
  11. M

It's been a few weeks and just catching up on the forums here...I only used my XSM7224S for about a week before coming to the conclusion that while it was neat to play with new HW, it was complete and utter overkill for my use case....I created an openvswitch using 2 emulex OCE10102 and it...
  12. M

Any 48 port switches around $4oo recommendations ?.

I have 2 switches in the for-sale section that meet your criteria...how about a 48-Port HP 1810-48G for $300 plus shipping?
  13. M

3 rack mount Ethernet switches for Sale: SOLD: Netgear XSM7224S: L2+ 24 Port 10Gbe SFP+ Switch SOLD: HP J9660A 1810-48G: L2 48 Port Gigabit Switch + 4 SFP Ports SOLD: Netgear GSM7252S: L3 48 Port Gigabit Switch, 10Gbe Upgradable
  14. M

I only have one PS so 102W was the total. I would guess that without anything plugged in, you are looking at 98-100W. how do you turn on cut-through switching? I am used to procurve switches and there are so many buried config options on netgear that a few pointers on cut-through and...
  15. M

Straight out of the box, I am using 102W with two 10Gb DAC Cables and one 1Gb SR fiber connection. Where can I disable unused ports in the GUI/CLI?