Recent content by mindhorn

1. M

Build advice - enough power?

Having priced up the 2 builds, it's going to cost £405 for an Intel i3 7100t setup (35w TDP), Gigabyte GA-H270N-WIFI, 8GB RAM, case, cooler and PSU. Alternatively, for an AMD 5370, ASRock AM1H-ITX and the other bits, it'll be £270, so a fair difference. I may just pony up for the more...
  2. M

@ttabbal You're right that's it's mainly a file server, other than the need to seat the TV card for recordings and some transcoding. I'm pricing up an i3 setup for comparison to the AMD rig. Thanks All for the advice so far!
  3. M

@keybored I did consider both the Lenovo and Dell, but both are a lot more expensive here. I missed out on a good deal for the previous Lenovo model. The one you linked from eBay...unfortunately the shipping is more expensive than the computer and that's before the customs duty and tax.
  4. M

@sd11 Thanks for the comments about your setup (AMD 5370). Seems like that one may be a little under powered for my needs, but then again it's a bargain! I think I'd need to double the cost of cpu and motherboard, in order to go Intel. I've seen an i3 with TDP of around 35w, which costs about...
  5. M

Thanks for all the replies. @T_Minus Regarding h.265, I would like it to be able to handle that - I don't want the server to be immediately out of date when it's built. I'll definitely be running 1080p and streaming to probably a maximum of 2 devices at once - this will be the exception...
  6. M

Hii, I’m building a new, low power machine to replace an existing one which is on the way out, but I want it to act as a NAS as well as a TV server (running Media Portal), so I want it to have low power consumption, especially when idling. It will be running either Windows 10 or Windows...
  7. M

Low power Mobo/CPU recommendations?

Thanks for all the updates and suggestions. I'll take a look on Ebay then for used CPUs and mini-itx boards and will see what I find. Idle below 30 watts would be perfect. As for pre-built servers, I believe the Lenovo TS140 was supposed to be great, but I think it's been discontinued and...
  8. M

Thanks for the reply. I'm mainly concerned about data corruption, hence ECC memory, but do you think that's very unlikely? I should add that I also need a motherboard with integrated graphics (minimal, no gaming on this machine...), or the ability to run headless.
  9. M

Hi, I'd like to build a low power home server, to fulfill a number of roles and am looking for suggestions on the motherboard and CPU choice. I've been researching for a while and am finding it difficult to identify what I need. Hopefully, I can get some advice here. :) This server is...