Recent content by mikesm

1. M

Intel S2600WT 1U Dual LGA2011-3 Server w/ SAS, U.2 NVMe $99 + shipping

Has anyone tried a v4 processor in these to see if they work without a firmware upgrade? What is the BIOS firmware level as shipped? Mine just came but I'm now trying to figure out which CPU's to get. thanks! mike
  2. M

Quanta QuantaGrid D52B-1U - Skylake, 25GbE NIC, Rails - $324.99 + SH

So if I wanted to run a v4 in one of these, I would need to update the BIOS first, and that means I need a gold or silver CPU installed first to get it to the point where it would boot and be able to update the BIOS?
  3. M

Quanta QuantaGrid D52B-1U - Skylake, 25GbE NIC, Rails - $324.99 + SH

Are the 25 Gbe SFP+ slots compatible with 10 Gbe SFP+ modules? I have a lot of 10 Gbe infrastructure, but not 25 Gbe.
  4. M

Cheap 2U Supermicro system with X9DRH motherboard

Nice. That board's onboard SAS controller is only 3 Gbps and a single port, whereas the the MB in the unit I cited has 2 SAS2 (6 Gbps) ports. The dual 920W platinum PSU's really makes that a bargain though. Nice find! I'll let you know what the version number of the board I get is...
  5. M

Cheap 2U Supermicro system with X9DRH motherboard

See here: Supermicro 825TQ-600LPB Barebone 2U Server W/ X9DRH-7H 8x Trays | eBay It's $249 plus modest shipping, and includes a very nice SSupermicro E5 V1 and V2 DP motherboard with 2 SAS2 (6 Gbps) ports built in, and 16 RAM slots. It also includes a TQ backplane and a 600W Platinum PSU...
  6. M

Supermicro E100-9APP as a silent firewall

Do you have IPS turned on with Sophos XG on your setup and still can run at max speed? Not sure that SM CPU is powerful enough if you turn on all the XG features. thx Mike
  7. M

New Product: Mikrotik Routerboard CSS326-24G-2S+RM

Baltic now has this switch (CSS326-24G-2S+RM) on sale for $120. Amazing how prices are falling! thx mike
  8. M

SC847 case only has 20 pin ATX supply cable

Thanks. Why would it pail to POST though? None of the SATA ports are in use. Its a freenas system so boots from a USB stick and all the data drives are on SAS ports on cards that are not plugged in. Thx Mike
  9. M

Yes, I saw that, but given no X9 (or X8 or X7) board has an IDE port, I am pretty certain that can't be the meaning. :) Is there a sequence for the various POST tests that these boards run through? I saw it flash 15 and 93 before stopping at A3. Thx mike
  10. M

Well, that didn't fix it. Anyone know what code A3 means on an x9 motherboard? Thx! Mike
  11. M

Thanks for the quick turnaround folks! I can buy an adapter locally, so will try that today and see if it fixes the issue. It will also add some length to that cable which is very very tight now as well. Mike
  12. M

Hi everyone. I am trying to move my Supermicro X9DR7-TF+ motherboard from my SC846 case to a new SC847A case to make room for more drives. The MB works just fine in the SC846 case, but when installed in the SC847 case, the it hangs on boot with "system initializing" and post code A3. It's a...
  13. M

PfSense in a VM and 10g NIC ?

I have this running and working very nicely on one of my dual proc E5-2670 boxes. I have one NIC dedictaed to the cable modem, and the other going to a switch with a number of VLAN's active on it, all using vmware ESXi 6.0U1. There is a pretty good guide out there by Calvin Bui (he writes a...
  14. M

SAMSUNG SSD 1.92TB PM863 MZ7LM1T9HCJM - 00003

Seller took $350 on the first offer. Not sure if he'd go lower. thanks, mike
  15. M

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Wow, and Fanless too!! Very nice. Did you also see the T1700X-16TS? 12 10GBase-T ports and 4 SFP+ ports? I don't see it on sale yet anywhere, but I would bet it will be even cheaper than the new Netgear switches. Thanks, mike