Recent content by MikeJ

1. M

Is it possible to get these SAS Hitachi drives to work on a "normal" system?

Yes, as far as we've seen any DKS firmware drives have something in the firmware that breaks all WRITE CDBs. I haven't been able to get any details from my contacts at Seagate or HDS.
  2. M

How to reformat HDD & SSD to 512B Sector Size

You're working with a different drive model. I'm talking about a DKR5D-J600SS, and it seems to be a problem with any of the DKR5D family. Yes, they can be reformatted to any block size you want, but all WRITE CDBs are broken. The drive you're working on apparently doesn't have this problem...
  3. M

Thought i'd pst the details of the particular drives I'm working with: Interface = 6G SAS VENDOR = SE_HGST PRODUCT = DKR5D-J600SS FIRMWARE = B8B8 From label: Model: HUC10960CSS600 Config Code: 004
  4. M

These DKR5x drives have some very strange firmware in them which messes up all WRITE commands. It doesn't matter if they are formatted to 512 or 520 bps - WRITE commands will mostly fail, and the conditions to make them not fail are unrealistic. I have no idea why HGST has them working like...
  5. M

Is it possible to get these SAS Hitachi drives to work on a "normal" system?

Are you still working on this? I've been trying to figure this out for a bit - the problem I'm seeing is that WRITE commands either take a LONG time to complete or abort with a 0B/81/00 error. ABORTED COMMAND/VENDOR UNIQUE - not very helpful at all! The drives I have are SE_HGST, DKR5D-J600SS...