Recent content by meles meles

1. M

First home brew NAS (FreeNAS)

Okay, so we have made progress. We now have an UNRAID trial version running on our server. It's headless, tucked away in a quiet corner of the sett, and accessed through our main pc. The array comprises 3 x 4TB HDD with a fourth 4 TB HDD as parity disc and a 120 Gb Kingston SSD as the cache...
  2. M

We can't see a need to run both Unraid and Linux simultaneously. Regarding the rest, isn't that what we proposed? That is, when switched on the USB stick will normally be present and the system will boot as an Unraid server. Occasionally, however, we'll remove the USB stick and then switch on...
  3. M

A thought occurs to us, and though the ultimate answer may be "Try it and see", we thought we'd ask the question of you larger brained species here first. If we set our BIOS (UEFI to be accurate, which is a far more complex and unpleasant kettle of fish) to boot first from the USB stick and...
  4. M

Yes, it's a toy, not an enterprise server storing our plan for world domination*, and we'll definitely have fun with it. * That Plan is definitely secured at a nuts and bolts level, archivally permanent non electronic storage media, air gapped and surrounded by wire, minefields and vicious dogs.
  5. M

How serious are we? Very. Does that mean we have to do things at a nuts and bolts level ? No. For example, we could actually get out a key and transceiver and communicate by Morse, but these days we prefer to pick up a phone and talk, let the clever electronics do the work and communicate...
  6. M

DYU ? Don't recognise that particular TLA. As aforementioned, we're familiar with Windoze and OSX as operating systems, and have tinkered with Linux and FreeBSD but only through GUIs. No particular desire to join the ranks of hardened code warriors at the high table of the command line: if we...
  7. M

UBUNTU fell by the wayside: as far as we can tell most admin has to be done from the command line and we prefer a GUI. Yes, we know: we're an amateur. So, that seems to leave Unraid as the last standing mainstream option.
  8. M

How likely am I to add new disks ? Pretty likely indeed: I've done so several times with my existing Synology NAS as my data collection grew. At the moment I have almost 12TB of data and it expands by a couple of TB per year, hence I want to have growth potential. Photos and videos aren't...
  9. M

Unraid or Ubuntu server are currently looking to be the main contenders as I research the subject. The capability of adding new, dissimilar discs from time to time appeals and both these OS seem better for that than FreeNAS
  10. M

Have we slammed into a brick wall, oomans ? We built our new NAS box and installed FreeNAS because we had heard wonderful things about the ZFS file system. Unfortunately, we found this opinion in our research afterwards - The 'hidden' cost of using ZFS for your home NAS In a nutshell, it...
  11. M

Well, following on from all the good advice received here https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/so-pros-and-cons-of-replacing-a-synology-nas-with-a-server.29669/ , we ditched the idea of resurrecting an old enterprise server and set out on the 'roll your own' route. We're almost...
  12. M

So, pros and cons of replacing a Synology NAS with a server...

Well, following on from all the good advice received above, we ditched the idea of resurrecting an old enterprise server and set out on the 'roll your own' route. We're almost there. Hardware comprises: CFI A2059 Mini-ITX Chassis (https://static.mini-itx.com/store/images/3884-01L.jpg) 300 watt...
  13. M

"At the end of the day someone like @meles meles (I am guessing English is not his native language and he's likely located overseas - (guessing it's a he...Meles Zenawi was the name of a well known Ethiopian politician) ) is trying to replace a Synology (not sure if it's one, two, 4 or 6 bays)...
  14. M

What are the "step up from pre-made NAS types" ?
  15. M

Until I started looking into servers, I didn't realise they were power hungry. I assumed they were a simple step up from a NAS, sitting quietly in the background until required to serve a file...