Recent content by matt52

1. M

Icydock Express Cage vs Tough Armor Product Lines

The express is fine for SSD. 15Krpm 146GB drives not so much.
  2. M

Culprit: slightly bad LSI card - was: SC847 45-bay JBODs rear backplane issues - anyone else?

My experience with the 847 family is that the 2 backplanes do not play nice cascaded and should have their own 4x uplink to a controller. I think there is also a major heat problem with the expander chip. When the server was cold it would run fine. Once the temps got uncomfortable the rear one...
  3. M

Cheapest SAS/SATA disk enclosure

yes, yes MD1000 uber alles. we get it. And yes I've owned several IcyBox units over the years. Gross air-flow is not the problem, localized air-flow is the issue. Google might run the air temps hot but their air-flow rate is damn serious and they engineer the enclosures to flow air where it...
  4. M

Dell FS12-NV7 as a JBOD chassis

Look here for some ideas: Cheapest SAS/SATA disk enclosure
  5. M

the CM unit was ODM and they aren't selling it anymore. I was providing similar alternatives. Some backplanes from Supermicro vent pretty well. Others not so much. The typical backplane in a 4-in-3 unit has lousy air-flow design. That's why I don't use them, also because of cost. Cheap != neat...
  6. M

The cages are not the ones that IcyDock or SM make with backplanes, crap ventilation and high price but rather these: SilverStone CFP51. Or ModDIY 5-in3 device module hard disk cage (high price). or Rosewill RASA-11001. Professional looking? Neat and tidy cables? Excellent signal-integrity? No.
  7. M

Right and the MD1000 requires trays and interposers (SATA) at not insignificant cost even if you do manage to get your hands on the basic chassis and controllers for a cheap price. The Antec 300 or similar design will hold 10 drives easy across the front. Add in 3 of the 4-in-3 for 22 total. In...
  8. M

trying WAY too hard! Get some Antec Three Hundred chassis and then add 2 or 3 Coolermaster 4-in-3 units (has fan and side plates are rubber suspended) or something similar that can also be screwed down (if you want) , and add a ChenBro/Intel SAS expander. Granted not earth-quake safe but works...