Recent content by masterchief07

1. M

Optimal VSAN Configuration Suggestions

By the way, aside from the memory allocation for VSAN, which I understand the limitation there, why would the 990s be less than ideal? I would assume Endurance and Power Loss Protection--or lack thereof, correct?
  2. M

Yeah, exactly. Just what's part of the bundle, so figured I'd try to take advantage if reasonable. I'm exploring my options right now though lol clearly this would not be suitable in current form so going to scour eBay for some hardware. Appreciate the replies and insight thus far!
  3. M

Well, I guess stability would be a no brainer and say performance just from the standpoint of the hardware being so excessive, performantly. So if I were able to increase memory and swap the 990s for Enterprise NVME, would you agree that would suffice in terms of allowing this to be a...
  4. M

So that's the thing. Across the 4 servers, there will be 40 x 990 Pros. I'm only running in this direction because I'm lucky enough to be in the right place/right time. But I don't have the capital to dish out for enterprise drives so I'd like to maximize what I'll have. Are you suggesting that...
  5. M

Very shortly and VERY luckily I'll be walking into 4 custom built AMD EPYC 9334 SP5 systems each with 256GB DDR5 4800, Tyan S8050GM4NE-2T, 10 x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB (2 on board, 8 on ASUS PCIE 5 Card w/ mobo bifurcation). That being said, I'd like to set up a VSAN (or similar) environment to...
  6. M

Toshiba PX05SRB192 - 512 format?

I did get the drives to format via an HBA and have them in a RAID10 array but performance seems to be lacking. You you think the drive firmware could be the issue? Any ideas where to get the proper, latest HP firmware for these drives?
  7. M

RAID10 Config Recommendations

Reran the tests with Anvil. What's your take on these numbers? HPE Smart Path: Controller Caching:
  8. M

Reinstalled vSphere 7u3, installed WinSrv 2022, VMTools 12.06 and ran tests again. There is a performance hit running through VM. This is with controller caching only enabled.
  9. M

Ahh, I'm sorry, I have 8x drives within the array, 2x cold spare offline. And yeah, that was my thinking. I should easily be able to saturate the bus. Now here's an interesting note. Installed Windows directly to the array and reformatted at 256/1024kb full stripe. HPE Smart Path enabled. Going...
  10. M

Looks like the drives may be operating in single port mode...PHY 2 unknown. Exploring this further.
  11. M

Appreciate the insight but yeah, using 2 cables. :/ Looking to see if somehow only 1 is operating or is somehow disabled.
  12. M

Hey all! Currently have 8 x Toshiba PX05SRB192's installed in a Proliant DL360 G10 connected to HPE Smart Array P408i-a w/ 2GB cache. Current RAID Array config: RAID 10 Stripe: 1024kb Block Size: 512b Write Cache Enabled HPE Smart Path Enabled Will be using this server as an ESXi host for a...
  13. M

How to reformat HDD & SSD to 512B Sector Size

Installed the HBA, drives showed up immediately. Reformatted to 512b and we are good to go on the 408i. :D
  14. M

Yeah, no go here. I installed Windows and still can't get the drives to show. Last ditch effort I am going to scoop an HP H220 HBA and try that way. Hopefully they'll pass through and reformatting to 512b via that will allow them to show via the P408i so I can get them into a RAID array.
  15. M

Yup, latest version and yes, booting UEFI. I will see if I can find a definite answer regarding 4k support.