Recent content by markwo

1. M

Dell C6100 - anyone brick a board yet?

I "bricked" two of my nodes tonight, but thanks to the posts in this thread knew I could quickly recover them. I didn't configure the IP address in BIOS on either node, but I did configure the IP address via IPMI while the BIOS menu was running on each system (right after I viewed the IP...
  2. M

Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

I think they'd need to extend less than an inch to snap in, so 2" should be plenty of space. The server will of course overhang outside the back of the rack, but you probably already know that part.
  3. M

Yeah, that definitely makes sense. I wasn't sure at first if they weren't the standard OEM rails since they didn't slide out, but I can see how the application here is different than your typical rack server. Not having to set the server down into sliding rails would save time.
  4. M

I bought mine from mobile_computer_pros (specific listing linked). The rails I got look OEM, but don't have a Dell part number on them. Fully collapsed, they're 24.25". You'd need to extend them a little to snap them into a rack. They're square hole compatible with snap-in clips, similar to...
  5. M

Just got my C6100 today. It has the PIC16 fan board with 5 pin fan connectors (only 4 pins used). Dell shows my service tag to have a ship date in January 2013, which is hard to believe. Also shows no warranty coverage at all. The unit looks brand new, no dust anywhere including fans. Off...
  6. M

Taming the C6100

They definitely sound quiet enough. Do you think they'll provide enough cooling, especially with 4 nodes on? I think I'm down to the model you've got, and 9GV0812P1H031, which is louder but provides more airflow. I've never heard a ML110G7, but I've got a Dell T110, which is Dell's equivalent...
  7. M

Taming the C6100

Also, does anyone know what the two extra wires on the 6 pin Dell connector are for? I see they're connected, but from the photos it's not clear what happens to them in the harness. Anyone have a part number or source for the 6 pin connector? I wouldn't mind leaving the stock fans in-tact in...
  8. M

Taming the C6100

Thanks RimBlock. I've spent some time reviewing the San Ace 80 line, trying to determine which 80x80x38mm model might be the best fit. Sanyo Denki makes fans in what they call a "ribbed" and "ribless" design. This looks to address the issue with the corner holes. from...
  9. M

Taming the C6100

Saw in the main C6100 thread that you've got some of these incoming. Please post your results once you've worked with them. I just purchased a C6100 and I'm hoping to quiet it enough to keep by my desk. Options so far look like the EC fans, the SM ones you listed, and/or modifying the PWM...