Recent content by Markess

1. M

Motherboard/CPU Advice for Simple File Server

The one marked #1, an the same side of the board as the 24 pin connector.
  2. M

Not me! I spend a lot there (too much TBH), but haven’t ever sold anything
  3. M

Yes, you are correct. My mistake. Just to make sure I'm thinking correctly in this case though (even if my assertions on slot specifications is incorrect), and not that it matters to OP any more, since they returned the board: OP had the ATX 24 Pin and an 8 Pin 12v connector attached. So six...
  4. M

Probably better off. The support was super spotty. At one point, they put up a BIOS update to fix an issue and it made everything unstable. They wound up pulling it down. Lots of little things that could get worked out, but not everyone wants to fiddle with their hardware. The Xeon D you...
  5. M

When I started testing our batch, I hooked up a single 24 + 8 pin on the test bench and had no issue. We asked about the second 8 pin and the 6 pin connectors though, just to know for sure, and Gigabyte told us they weren't strictly necessary for reasons you mention. The 6 Pin connector is...
  6. M

Gigabyte's documentation on this board in particular is AWFUL (just a foldout) and the response you get from them when you ask for clarifications is just as likely to be wrong as right. We tested 50+ of these boards over a couple months and had very little help from them in getting them in...
  7. M

Interesting. I've had no issues with PCIe cards working without the extra power connectors. The 6 Pin connector isn't supposed to be to power the slots. They will work up to 75w per slot (for devices that register themselves as "High Power" devices) without a cable. The 6 pin is for if you...
  8. M

Curious what motherboard that was? Lot of Gigabyte Boards (and some others from various manufacturers) have multiple connectors to support high power draw CPUs with sustained high CPU usage situations, but they aren't necessarily required to all be connected at once for many use cases. I've...
  9. M

LSI 9300-16i $129 obo

Breathe easy folks.....sold out! Oh wait :D That seller likes to sell in batches, each with their own separate listing. So, its a good bet that there will be more listed soon. Guess you can't relax after all.
  10. M

Cheap non-Mellanox PCIe card for 40GbE QSFP+?

Yes, that's the question I guess...NICs that work with both P & E-Cores enabled. My gut (which is frequently wrong unfortunately) says that its the Mellanox/Nvidia drivers for Windows and not the hardware itself. The most recent drivers were released before Alder Lake came out and do work...
  11. M

Cheap non-Mellanox PCIe card for 40GbE QSFP+?

I found a few ConnectX-3 cards (CX354a) for around $12 each to try P2P 40GbE with some of my lab stuff and desktop. Linux was no issue, but the Desktop (i5-12600k + Win11) was continual BSODs. I eventually tracked the issue down to CX3 not playing well with the i5's efficient-cores on Windows...
  12. M

Dual port 10G SFP+ card: If only one port is in use does it get "all the bandwidth"?

Thank you! And thank you for the recommendation. The price is nice on those cards too! That response leads me to believe that I couldn't find anything via Google because it is a "its obvious to the people in the know, so they don't write about it" situation. I guess I know what I need to...
  13. M

Dual port 10G SFP+ card: If only one port is in use does it get "all the bandwidth"?

If a dual port 10G SFP+ Card (PCIe 3.0 card like ConnectX-3, Solarflare SFN7122/8522, etc) has only one port in use, can that active port use all of the PCIe slot's available bandwidth? Said another way, does the card (or drivers, etc.) apportion/reserve bandwidth for the unused port? I want...
  14. M

Xeon W-22xy vs Xeon W-21xy: Why so much more expensive?

This ^ As others on the STH forums have noted before, pricing for used components is often based on available supply, and not necessarily performance. Prices on Skylake parts continue to fall as greater quantities continue to hit the secondary market. But the Cascade Lake ones (which are two...
  15. M

LSI 9300-16i $129 obo

I assume you have a modular PSU (cables are removable)? If so, don’t confuse the end of the cable that goes to the PSU with the end of the cable that does to the device(s). All the modular cables in your EVGA PSU will have a rectangular connector the end that goes to the power supply. The...