Recent content by Markess

1. M

Cisco Moderro IEC/IEP-4650/4660 series managed smart displays

That was odd. I'd been using my bench monitor, which admittedly is pretty ancient. F7ing was just giving me a blank screen and no boot. I swapped over to one of the (much newer) monitors on my desk and the menu came up right away. Thanks!
  2. M

Cisco Moderro IEC/IEP-4650/4660 series managed smart displays

I got my IEC-4650. Now trying to get into the BIOS to take a look around before opening it up, but am having no success. Have you bothered getting into your BIOS yet? I managed to pull the maintenance code via the terminal and I tried to enter it at boot, but can't seem to be fast enough...
  3. M

EXPIRED fanless Intel® i3 Kaby Lake mini PC for $74.83

I know this thread is slowly drifting off topic, but that was such a clear and succinct description! Bravo! :p When I put my current desktop together, it was an easy decision to passthrough the Nvidia GPU to the Windows VM, and use the AMD one for the host system (Ubuntu Mate 20.04 at the...
  4. M

Sorry to hear you're having issues with Linux. I don't know if there are Windows drivers, but if you still have Mint installed, I believe I may be able to get you through the driver/codec install. I didn't speak up before, because I'm not a Mint user (I use Ubuntu Mate normally) and hoped...
  5. M

Okay, well that's sad. I think the SSD in my personal laptop is a 2260, but I'm not going to open it up for this. Guess I'll stick with what it comes with till I decide what crazy scheme I'm going to try with it. If you have one handy. Otherwise, I think they're going for as much as you...
  6. M

I bought one on Ebay yesterday for just under $50 shipped. Not quite a pittance, but its supposed to be new in the box with AC adapter and mount. It was in my watch list for a while and the seller sent an offer for more than 50% off the original asking. Yeah, that is limiting, but I already...
  7. M

A cliffhanger! Could it have something to do with the mystery thermal pads that didn’t connect with anything on the 4660 (pictured back in post #35)? I actually had an IEC 4650 sitting in my eBay watch list (along with a ton of other stuff stuff I don’t really need). So, now I’m curious too!
  8. M

Need Supermicro replacement parts, where to get for reasonable price

I'd forgotten that the noise was present with the old PSUs. As an FYI, I don't think the fans on the SQs spin when system is off. Mine don't seem to spin at least. You'll still have a power draw when off to power the BMC of course. If its electrical, then I'd think that you physically...
  9. M

Mini-ITX low power supply recommendations?

I've blocked the PSU opening in a couple cases when I had to install motherboards with onboard power. I have access to a laser cutter, so I was able to cut something pretty easily from acrylic, including a hole for a power jack when needed. If you don't have access to a laser cutter, its...
  10. M

Could be that @ramblinreck47 is right. Maybe try to unplug all the fanwall fans, turn it on, and let it boot up to idle. Its not going to explode if you run it without fans for a couple minutes. See if you still hear the tone/sound/subsonic tingle/whatever. If you do, its obviously the...
  11. M

Windows 11, why, why now, and what matters?

I decided to use my extra "freetime" during the pandemic to update the homelab from mostly Sandy/Ivy Bridge (Intel Core Gen 2 & 3) & single AMD AM3+ Opteron, along with the family's assorted desktops/laptops, mostly Haswell (Core Gen 4) and older. I typically buy used, and by the time the chip...
  12. M

Revising my expectations during the chip shortage

I'm not sure how I should feel that after a while spent looking, I finally found a semi, kind of, sort of, almost, modern generation GPU, new, for close to MSRP? Thrilled that I found one at all, or saddened that its so hard to find? Maybe both? Only a GT 1030, but enough to play with...
  13. M

Mini-ITX low power supply recommendations?

Your motherboard has a 4 Pin DC Power Connector (JPV1) that lets you connect it directly to a 12V power source. The connector is the same as the 4 Pin ATX Power connector on many motherboards. If you use that, no Pico (or ATX) PSU required. Assuming your NVMe Drive is in the onboard M.2...
  14. M

Extended Security Maintenance programs (which Ubuntu 16.04 entered in May) are free to individuals for up to 3 machines. Commercial use, and any personal use beyond 3 machines, are supposed to be on a subscription basis. Subscriptions (if needed) start at $25 for desktops, and go up to...
  15. M

Definitely the best idea for a whole lot of Supermicro parts and small bits. I think @lpallard already tried that though and the Supermicro Store won't ship directly to them in Canada. @lpallard, have you considered buying from the Supermicro Store using a forwarding service? I've seen a...