Recent content by Markess

1. M

LSI 9300-16i $129 obo

Its funny, that same airflow requirement is in the manuals for every LSI/Avago/Broadcom (and even Adaptec) adapter I've owned going back to early SAS2 ones. As the cards got more power hungry, the airflow requirement stayed the same & the chips got larger heatsinks. If the fan covers most...
  2. M

Tesla P4 - 8GB / US$ 100 or even lower

Since the seller seems legit, I thought I'd get one for myself. Offered (US) $90 for one, which I assumed would be countered but was a starting point. Seller countered with $109, I came back with $105, and they countered with...$99! Okay, twist my arm. I'll give in and buy it for less than...
  3. M

OK, I give up. What the heck does roomba mean?

With one of those installed, you wouldn't need to worry about dust collecting in your server! :p Honestly, I've never heard of such a thing.
  4. M

When you image a partition with dd

Oh, I am here to tell you that is so not true! I'm a slow learner. :oops:
  5. M

I won't disagree about Google! Especially when searching products, which in the last few months has gotten almost as bad as Amazon. You have to page through a bunch of ad supported/algorithm selected non-applicable, stuff to find the first hit that includes what you want. But, on the original...
  6. M

There's a core group of programs that run via terminal sessions and are common among pretty much all linux distributions. DD is one of them, so you will see a lot of tutorials on how to do things with DD. Its not always the best program for a task, but the chances are really good that it will...
  7. M

I bet some of that is just because you're more used to Windows. Plus, if you compare using a graphical program for Windows with using linux from a terminal, Windows wins hands down. If you compare doing it Windows from C:\ instead, I bet they stack up pretty equally ...i.e. both ways are tuff...
  8. M

E5 is definitely the gift that keeps on giving. Not as expensive as scalable but still relatively powerful. Lots of PCIe lanes for stuff, and is well behaved with virtualization if you want to run a second OS in a VM, even with hardware passthrough. Plus, a ton of DDR3 RAM is pretty cheap...
  9. M

That sucks mightily. DD is a superpowerful command that can do lots of stuff, but unfortunately has zero guardrails and the manpage is pretty complex at first look. It CAN make an ISO image of a source drive and write it to your destination, leaving the existing files on the destination...
  10. M

If you don’t include one of the display status options in your command, you don’t see much while DD runs. To get more detail on what’s happening, try including either “status=progress” or “pv” excluding quotation marks, in your command. Use only one though, not both. If you’ve done that...
  11. M

Micron 5100 eco 960gb 2.5inch $70/each, obo

Sometimes a package gets to the destination hub completely intact and they have to hold it over to kick around a bit before delivery. Since you only ordered one, maybe the box is small enough that they can use it as the puck in a game of floor hockey in the warehouse?
  12. M

Also, CloudSpeed ECO are read-intensive drives that are generally lower performance speed-wise and pretty low endurance for an "enterprise" product. Lots of current 1TB consumer products with more endurance than a CloudSpeed. OTOH, I use mine only for read intensive stuff on a 1G network and...
  13. M

X10SRH-CF@$200+shipping, E5-2697A v4@89

Great detective work, and nice power numbers. My idle consumption (taken from the wall with a Kill-a-Watt) is the same as yours. I've got less RAM, but the chassis' expander backplane seems to balance it out. My consumption when powered off is a lot more than yours though...mine is around 7...
  14. M

Windows 11

I've been using Linux as my daily driver for a long time, most recently Ubuntu Mate. But for years I also needed Windows for work and helping my kids with school; dual booting at first, more recently as a VM. Since last summer though, I've only needed Windows for personal use with a laser...
  15. M

I’m curious what “factory sealed” means if they are in an open tray? Unless they mean the anti-tamper stickers? The 5100 eco is an interesting product line. Lower endurance (~1Pb for this 960GB model) than their other enterprise products. A consumer Samsung 860 evo 1tb will have more than...